BBQ Brethren "Mama Mia...Now That's Italian" Throwdown!

We serve with fresh-grated Parmesan and grilled baby artichokes.

IMG_7072.jpg

I love the creativity and how 'over the top' it seems at first. But you're right, it's more normal that it appears, not so different from lasagna. Very creative lasagna, though. Looks delicious and I'll have my piece with grilled 'chokes, too.

Mama Mia, CD! I love less-known authentic Italian food, too. Thanks for giving us the details of cook time and temperature and your take on the texture and taste of the stuffing and meat. It looks really delicious and there's little I appreciate more than a homemade, tangy, Italian tomato sauce. Bravo!

Wow, not that this will help my vote count, but my Braciole is one of those dishes where the leftovers may actually be better than the original cook.

I ate the second Braciole tonight, and I honestly think it was better tonight than last night. It is like a casserole or soup. It "melts" together overnight. The stuffing definitely improved after a 24-hour rest inside that pork.

I liked it last night, and loved it tonight.

CD

Wonderful looking meal! The lamb looks great and I have to say the colours of fresh produce from your garden are a beautiful sight for my Canadian winter eyes. I'm jealous I couldn't sit down with you for this meal.

Thank you.
You would have been most welcome.
cheers.
Titch

Beef Ragu Sandwich

Oh great, almighty and all knowing, yet kind hearted and loving moderator who is also really sexy and built like a tank, please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown!:becky:

For this Throwdown, I figured I would make some sort of sandwich and top it with a jar of sauce, probably Ragu. But then I remembered how much CD hates sauces from a jar, so I set out to make my own Ragu.

This Ragu is inspired by the famous Pepper Stout Beef recipe, and is something I thought sounded like a good enough idea to try.

It started with some Chuck Roast.

tyja5ajy.jpg

Seasoned with Foil Hat Rub and Black Pepper.

a6agy3yz.jpg

And on to the WSM with cherry chunks for flavor.

e8uhe3u5.jpg

When the chucks hit 165 internal...

a8ymeqep.jpg

I took a pan with some Carrot, Onion, Celery, Garlic, Mushroom, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and Parsley...

ybytyby5.jpg

I squished up some tomatoes into that...

syhyva5y.jpg

I added some Beef Broth...

udysevug.jpg

And a little Red Wine.

yhetavej.jpg

I topped the pan with Chuck...

4a6y3yny.jpg

Covered with foil and put it back on the WSM to cook until it was pullable.

When the meat was pullable I removed the meat from the pan and pulled it...

8ybu6yje.jpg

Then I blended up the liquid and vegetables with a quick pulse to leave it just a smidge chunky, and added a can of Tomato Paste because I felt it needed more tomato flavor. I added that liquid back to the pan and put it on the WSM uncovered to thicken and reduce the sauce.

da6ytu3y.jpg

I made some Garlic Bread from a nice crusty roll...

zare4ygu.jpg

Topped the bread with some of the Beef Ragu...

ybera7u6.jpg

Then I melted some Provolone over the top under the broiler.

zyha9epa.jpg

Oh great, almighty and all knowing, yet kind hearted and loving moderator who is also really sexy and built like a tank, please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown!:becky:

For this Throwdown, I figured I would make some sort of sandwich and top it with a jar of sauce, probably Ragu. But then I remembered how much CD hates sauces from a jar, so I set out to make my own Ragu.

I really don't think you have to worry about CD. Until a couple days ago he'd never even heard of braciole, much less made it, and he didn't even recognize a modification of a very basic lasagna recipe. He may talk up a storm about being Italian and using fresh ingredients, but rumor has it that his cupboards are full of Ragu, Spam and Spaghetti-Os. I don't think he's even Italian. Just look at his avatar. His mouth is open, obviously saying something, but his paws are at his side. On the other hand, I can't even type this without waving my hands in front of the monitor.

I am curious why all your pictures are upside-down. :confused:

I really don't think you have to worry about CD. Until a couple days ago he'd never even heard of braciole, much less made it, and he didn't even recognize a modification of a very basic lasagna recipe. He may talk up a storm about being Italian and using fresh ingredients, but rumor has it that his cupboards are full of Ragu, Spam and Spaghetti-Os. I don't think he's even Italian. Just look at his avatar. His mouth is open, obviously saying something, but his paws are at his side. On the other hand, I can't even type this without waving my hands in front of the monitor.

I am curious why all your pictures are upside-down. :confused:

Yes, my pantry is kind of weak right now. I only have three grades of Italian olive oil and one bottle of Italian Balsamic Vinegar, I'm down to my last 9 cans of San Marzano tomatoes, my imported from Italy pasta selection is dismal, with only 4 varieties. I won't have any fresh basil until summer, and I only have one bag of dried basil from last summer's garden. But, I do have fresh AND dried oregano.

And, I am personally and deeply offended that you would think I would allow ANY Chef-Boy-R-Dee product to disgrace my pantry.

BTW, I am posing for a picture in my avatar, not talking. If I were talking, my paws would be moving. In fact, they are moving right now. Well, one paw and one finger on that paw.

In reply to your offense, I demand satisfaction -- a meatball duel at dawn.

CD

Well, you're gonna have one heck of an advantage with that, since yours are probably still in their cans. :becky:

I'll have you know that I have homemade meatballs in my arsenal. They are frozen -- which is going to really hurt when they hit you from ten paces. :fencing:

CD

He even said that the braciole was better the next day, when it wasn't fresh.

BTW, I am posing for a picture in my avatar, not talking. If I were talking, my paws would be moving. In fact, they are moving right now. Well, one paw and one finger on that paw. braciole
CD

From over here it looks like your saying CHEESE...:becky:

Bigga-byta-mia, I love the layering of flavours in your entry. I'm a huge fan of carmelization and hearing your beef and vegetables singing themselves sweetly to brown goodness made me drool. With melted cheese on garlic bread, too! Mmmmm.

You've got a lot of nerve interrupting our little chat. C'mon CD, I've got some sausage in the freezer. Let's whack 'im.

My balls can take down your sausage any day of the week.

CD

I just realized that Gore wants to whack bigabyte with his sausage, not me. I'm cool with that, but I'd rather not join him. NTTAWWT :becky:

CD

Truth be told, I had bigger plans for the sandwich, but a number of factors prevented me from being able to invest the time to prepare the sandwich the way I wanted.

The original plan was to take the Beef Ragu on the Garlic Bread (as pictured), but then top it with a Gorgonzola Sauce, and place some Roasted Red Pepper, Carmelized Onion and Sauteed Mushrooms on top of that, and then sprinkle on some fried Pancetta pieces and a light drizzle of Balsamic glaze.

Sadly, I couldn't get to the Carmelized Onions later in the afternoon, or for that matter I wouldn't have had the time to do any of the remaining cooking steps later on to pull that off. Heck, I couldn't even find the time to bust out a camera and tripod for the final shots!:doh: Oh, the joys of a house full of rugrats and mongreloid animals!:tsk:

Oh well, even with just the Provolone, it was a great meal. The boys were raving about it. My wife didn't get to try any as she had to leave, her loss!

Back