BBQ Brethren "Time for Veggies to Shine!" (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Time For Veggies To Shine!"

Mmmm....who doesn't love shiny veggies! :mrgreen:

As chosen by Toast for his winning entry in the "I've Got a Bone To Pick With You!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Toast said:
Greetings! Since Spring has sprung, how about a "Time For Veggies To Shine" TD?

Any and all veggies on the grill. Meat optional.
Looks like a great opportunity for all of us to finally become vegetarians! :laugh:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/7 through Sunday 6/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 6/17.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...
especially take note of:

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical discussion thread.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Salad, Grilled Veggies, and Veggies Wrapped in Chicken

Hakurei and Scarlet Queen Red Stem Turnips grilled with Zucchini. Accompanied by a Red and Romaine lettuce salad with carrots, pepperoncini peppers, and cherry tomatoes. The entree was fresh spinach, kalamata olives and feta chesse wrapped in thin pounded chicken breast with A light dusting of SM Season All. The best part was the 2007 Silver Oak Cabernet I received for my birthday many months back!

(My official entry photo!)
25287c662f25b27e0ced0223add81cb1_zpsb35ad710.jpg

41164739c34f62fa38b1d2bdfe716160_zps371264ad.jpg

9c0f488202a66d2ac8248ba89ac50a9c_zps2634d01f.jpg

Good timing for this TD. June is the month when I can get the best produce of the year. I love grilled June veggies.

Win or lose, I know I will eat well. :thumb:

CD

I participate in a CSA program with a local farm. The lettuce, turnips, and spinach all came from our first pick up of the year!

Grilled Chicken Salad...

Official Entry.
OK, so some boneless skinless chicken breasts got cooked indirect then direct over some Kroger lump.

Then, some veggies and a hunk of parmesan were harmed...

And the usual other suspects...

Then bowls were made...

Mine

And Redhot's - which is the entry pic...

[URL="http://s1041.photobucket.com/user/redhot696/media/Redhot%20TD/veg6_zps484f8c2b.jpg.html"][/URL]

This was a Casa DeRedhot production.
Vegetable prep, grill set up and chicken slicing: deguerre
Chicken Grilling, Balsamic Vinagrette concocting and master bowl maker: Redhot.

Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown

Veggie Scramble, Potatoes O’Brian, Bacon & ABT’s

First I gathered the ingredients: (Allot of the veggies are from my garden so do I get extra points! :becky:)

IMG_4091_zps4a5181f6.jpg

IMG_4092_zpsa38bb222.jpg

5 Eggs
5 medium Red Potatoes (Chopped)
3 small to medium Zucchini’s
1 Huge Green Onion (Chopped) :twitch:
1 Red Bell Pepper
ÂĽ medium Yellow Onion
1 medium Tomato
Salt, Pepper & Hot Sauce (Cholula) to taste.
Bacon
Feta Cheese

IMG_4101_zpsfbf66f7c.jpg

IMG_4133_zpsf1be2418.jpg

IMG_4142_zps1b3da525.jpg

IMG_4143_zpsfe106c47.jpg

Use this as my plated Money Shot.
IMG_4150_zps9dc8ad04.jpg

IMG_4152_zps2ec235d3.jpg

Details of this cook can be found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162943

This is a throwdown entry.

Hmmm... For a throwdown where veggies are supposed to shine there sure seems to be more meat than veggies on these plates so far :-D

I think it's time for a vegetarian entry!

Portobello Mushroom Pizzas made with portobello mushrooms, onions, read and green bell peppers, vegetarian pizza sauce and veggie mozzarella cheese shreds.

5394_10200797427609911_855700570_n.jpg

The full cook thread is here.

C'mon guys! Let's see some entries where the veggies really shine!

Official entry here for the shiny vegetable TD. My wife chose this as she is a non-red meat eater.

She started with a whole Yuca root. Peeled it down, diced it up and pan fried it with green peppers, Vidalia onion, Gilroy garlic, fresh shucked peas, and a roasted ear of corn.

Aye smoked some Copper River Salmon, lightly dusted with Plowboy's Yard Bird Rub and smoked it at 200 degrees for an hour. The results are here for the takin!

Plated pic

The Unforked shot.

The complete cook can be viewed here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2510067&postcount=1

Shine on Harvest Moon!

Last edited:
So basically, HT's wife cooked the veggies, and he entered them under his handle.

He's learned the old Gore & Guerry Strategy for Throwdown success.

CD :becky:

Back