***SPECIAL*** Discussion Thread -> "National Pizza Month!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new Special TD category is...

[FONT=&quot]"National Pizza Month!"

[/FONT]
Since October is National Pizza Month, what better way to celebrate than with our very first ever, month-long Pizza Throwdown! :whoo:

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Here's the rules:

• You must cook a pizza. The pizza can be either cooked in a grill, smoker, or other such device, OR, it must feature the prominent use of grilled and/or smoked ingredients.

• Standard Throwdown rules apply.

• Multiple entries are both allowed, and encouraged.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/4 through Sunday 11/3.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 11/4.

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread. :loco:

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Wow! What a great idea. You are a genius. Vote for Moose!!!

CD :becky:

Wow! What a great idea. You are a genius. Vote for Moose!!!

CD :becky:

I know...I know...it's not very original coming from me, but we've never done a special Pizza TD, so my hope is the timing is good and we get lots of entries.

:thumb:

Probably a good thing for you guys that plan to participate that V-Wiz cooked last weekend! :biggrin:

Probably a good thing for you guys that plan to participate that V-Wiz cooked last weekend! :biggrin:

You can bet he will be back, and trust me Carbon and I will be bringing it too!:twitch: :pound::pound:

PIZZA!!:dancer::moon:

My official entry, part one...

I've been wanting to continue my journey to make a great pizza on the redhead, so this new Special TD was right on time.

i have my sauce down. San Marzano tomatoes, garlic, fresh oregano and basil from my garden, and lots of garlic. here are a few other ingredients for my pizza...

picture.php

Here is how it looked pre-cook, with my sauce, some of the best yellow bell peppers I've found this year, and fresh mozzarella, and some soppressata sausage (way better than pepperoni), and rough cut fresh oregano and basil.

picture.php

Onto the redhead using my new pizza setup -- a pizza stone on top of a grate, with a grate on top of the stone, with my pizza on a pizza tray on top of that. My goal was to make the top of the pizza cook through at the same time that the bottom of the crust got done to brown and crisp.

picture.php

It worked.

Wow, this pizza was good. I tasted it too early, and burned the roof of my mouth, but it was worth it. I did NOT burn my tongue, so I tasted every bite. I ate most of this pie, and can't wait to eat the rest for lunch tomorrow.

Oh, yeah, this is how it looked when it was done.

picture.php

CD

Last edited:
Guess it's time to break out the wood fired double kettle pizza cooker again for this TD!!!!

Pizza Margherita fit for the Queen Herself!

Please accept this as my official entry into the Special Pizza Throwdown.

First a little history lesson courtesy of wikipedia "The Margherita, topped with modest amounts of tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and fresh basil, is widely attributed to baker Raffaele Esposito. Esposito worked at the pizzeria "Pizzeria di Pietro" which was established in 1880. In 1889, he baked three different pizzas for the visit of King Umberto I and Queen Margherita of Savoy. The Queen's favorite was a pizza evoking the colors of the Italian flag — green (basil leaves), white (mozzarella), and red (tomatoes)

Without further ado I present my Pizza Margherita. I began with a twist. I decided to remove the top vent from my vision Kamado in order to let the dome heat to a higher temperature.

This photo was taken immediately after I closed the lid. The thermometer was buried afterwards and I was a liitle busy and forgot to get a pic.

Pie number one ready to go!

Midway through I opened the lid for this pic even though I could see the pie through the top. Note: I used the double stone method, 1 lava stone on the lower grate and the pizza placed on a granite slab that I cut from a scrap that I had laying around.

Done and ready to pull.

The crispy bottom

Side view

My polling pic if you please!

Thanks for lookin, and I'll keep on cookin!

Jed

Back