• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New guy need help

LostSoul

Reaction score
First off I'd like to thank everyone, I have enjoyed reading and learned so much from these threads! New guy here, found a drum for my first UDS and fired up the initial burn. I waited a couple of days and emptied out the ashes only to find a hole burned out of the bottom of the drum! I'm pretty bummed out. Can I still use the drum? I don't have a welder so I can't weld down a new bottom but I was thinking of bolting down some sheet metal. Has this happened to anyone else? What do y'all think?

Maybe if you put high temp silicone around the outside edge it would seal well enough?

Is it am open head drum? Some folks cut the bottom out and put the locking end at the bottom. Makes for easy cleaning. Then you could used a kettle top from a donor? I suppose you'd have to drill new intakes and plug up the ones that would now be on the top but that would be pretty easy.

Well I called the company I bought this drum from and told them what happened. They were super cool and gave me a replacement at no charge! Ditty in El Monte. built the smoker today and its out back with its initial seasoning smoke as I type! Thanks all who responded. I will be smoking a brisket tomorrow morning. Any tips for a newb are welcome!

I would break a uds with something other than brisket. Try a naked fattie (a jimmy dean sausage tube) and then cook a pork butt. They are more forgiving especially if you have problems with the uds.

Well I called the company I bought this drum from and told them what happened. They were super cool and gave me a replacement at no charge! Ditty in El Monte. built the smoker today and its out back with its initial seasoning smoke as I type! Thanks all who responded. I will be smoking a brisket tomorrow morning. Any tips for a newb are welcome!

Great... It's refreshing when someone stand behind their sale of an item..

I would break a uds with something other than brisket. Try a naked fattie (a jimmy dean sausage tube) and then cook a pork butt. They are more forgiving especially if you have problems with the uds.

^+1 - I agree, a brisket first time around in a new UDS can wrong quickly even if you have cooked them before on other types of cookers.

Why was a hole burned into the bottom in the first place? Do you have a charcoal basket with enough air space below? Is the drum up off the ground on something like three bricks?

Back