Which should I buy and why? Thermapen vs. Maverick ET732

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm new to BBQ and wanting to know which device offers maximum bang for my buck.

• Thermapen (on sale for about $74)

• Maverick ET732 ($60)
I like the Maverick because I can insert it in a butt and watch the internal temp without ever opening the smoker. I can also monitor the meat and smoker temps remotely without having to run outside every time.

Then again, if I have a lot of meat on the grill, and need to check several temps, the Themapen would be nice to have.

Again, I'm new to all this, please advise. Thank you all!!

Buy the RED one.

They are both very good and do their jobs well. I predict you will have both soon.

oooh, BOTH. I had this choice last month as well. For the little Q'n that I do, a Maverick is the one that suits me the best. The maverick does things that no other remote transmitter does, internal of meat and BBQ. The thermapen is just a REALLY expensive, although very accurate and fast thermometer. I would buy a middle of the road thermometer and get the Maverick ET732. That's what I did, and I love my Maverick. But my cheapo thermometer works fine.

Both, If I am cooking more than one butt I use the ET732 for a reference and use the Thermapen to check the others for temp and tenderness.

Get the maverick, and the Thermoworks RT600c ($25 on Amazon). You'll be armed and ready with these two. Skip the Thermapen IMHO.

That's a tough call... although have bought many, many thermos over the years.
(Maverick ET73, Taylor, RT600C, etc.)

Only the Thermapens (if something happens) go back for repair.
Just got confirmation my Superfast Bandit Blue will be coming home again in one piece.

There are thermapen alternatives that are much less expensive. They may not be as fast, but still get the job done. Then it would be cheaper to buy both.

I have both the Maverick ET732 and a Thermapen and if I had to choose just one I would choose the Maverick. My Thermapen is awesome but it doesn't alert me while I'm laying on the couch.

That's a tough call... although have bought many, many thermos over the years.
(Maverick ET73, Taylor, RT600C, etc.)

Only the Thermapens (if something happens) go back for repair.
Just got confirmation my Superfast Bandit Blue will be coming home again in one piece.

You have a point. The RT600c is made by the same folks as the Thermapen. The RT600c takes 2-3 seconds longer to read, but is water proof (it can record the temp during a dishwasher cycle). The Thermapen is splash proof only. You can buy 4 RT600c's for the price of one Thermapen, 3 if the Thermapen is on sale (like it is now, see another thread).

But the Thermapen does come in cool colors!

I have a CDN, Thermapen, an ET73 and ET732. The ETs are invaluable during a long cook but my Red Thermapen (quicker than all the other colors) is invaluable for that last hour or so. The thin probe and lightening quick response lets you poke all around to see how things are going without having the lid up too long. The CDN is too darn slow for me.

Ken

Ihrer's Fires

I have both,use the Thermapen and my Maverick PT100 more often than the plugin. T

If it were me, I'd get the maverick. It's pretty convenient monitoring temps from inside. You always get a less expensive meat therm.

Last edited:
BOTH The thermopen checks for doneness for all of your meats on the grill so no salmanella. The maverick lets you go about your business while your grill does the work and helps you not open the lid and slow the process down.

You need both. You can never have too many toys for BBQ. Also each has its job and they both do their jobs well, so yeah get both.

Back