Backyard competition. What do I need?

pne123

Knows what a fatty is.
Myself and a bunch of friends are planning a backyard competition. I think we will have 5-10 smokers. We are thinking of doing ribs and tri-tips. Pretty much anything goes. Judging just best taste. We will have our friends and family will bring sides and just be a party. Figure have everyone vote for a people choice winner and contestants can not vote for themselves. We are going to setup in my backyard so we have water, elec, shade from the trees and my wife told rent a port-a-potty. Besides plates, toothpicks, silverware and booze what else will i need for something like this? obviously i have no experience. I do have an outside fridge for everyone to use.

So your talkin a party with a bit of throwdown between friends. Been there done that and it is fun and exactly the way my bbq partner and I decided to start cooking together competitively. Your probably already thinking this but setup a common prep area and pantry and let the cooks just have at it. Fire up the smokers at the same time and everyone can just pick and choose.

You might want to have a canopy and some prep tables outside.
Metal trash can for to dump ashes in. Fire extinguisher.Trash bags.
Convenience stuff.

thanks prep tables are a good idea and ash disposal. did not think about that for the ones traveling to my back yard.

Since it for fun I think they can just go to each person get a sample, write their favorite on a piece a paper and drop it in a bucket. thinking more of a party than a serious comp. the ones actually competing will be trying to win and all the friends/family are familiar enough w/ everyone that we will not have any ballet stuffing.

All great ideas!! I will suggest coolers and towels. Coolers can be used for, oblivously cooling, but also for holding meats that are finished with the towels to insulate the cooler. Have fun and post some pictures!

good ideas. thanks. cools off? it was 113 here last week. truck registered 127 when i came out of the store. we are going to do it the first part of oct. the weather should be mid-low 70's. I will post pix.

As long as there is beer, I'd be happy. However- people may need to bring their own chairs. I don't know if you use a chimney for coal starting, but you might want to designate an area for guys to fire those up. I know I don't just set mine on the driveway (new concrete) so I use an area I set up with bricks.
Oh, and beer should be there too.

Back