• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Bet you can't wait that long. :biggrin: They seem to have a way of occupying your thoughts . . . of calling to you in your sleep. Before you know it, you'll be out there working on it.:wink:

Dave

You are correct Sir! The wife and I had a somewhat heated discussion yesterday because I was in the garage welding on a 55 gallon drum and she wanted to know how that was helping to get the basement finished?

Duhh! Obviously I need to eat some good bbq to build up my strength so I can go back and finish the basement.

Women, can't live with them, end of story.

Bet you can't wait that long. :biggrin: They seem to have a way of occupying your thoughts . . . of calling to you in your sleep. Before you know it, you'll be out there working on it.:wink:

Dave

You are so right, it's nice to see others with the same obsessions. I'm headed up to CT tomorrow so no work can be done. Although... I can sit in a corner, ignore everyone, and plan mods for the next two drums:shock:!!

true dave my buddy and work together and are in the bbq comps .. and thats all we talk about at work is how we can make the pellet eating stainless drum better lol we are coming up with a mod to the auger system we have ..lol

true dave my buddy and work together and are in the bbq comps .. and thats all we talk about at work is how we can make the pellet eating stainless drum better lol we are coming up with a mod to the auger system we have ..lol

We
still
want
to
see
the
details
on
that
beast.

Please.:icon_cool

sorry for the delay but till we get the rest of the stainless hopper built it not to kool looking we made the control box and fan boxes just have to get some more stainless for the hopper we have a idea it will be kool if it works no other drum or pellet cooker will look like this lol << did I say if it works >>>>more pictures after xmas

Now, now . . . obsession is such a strong word. My wife uses it all the time.:roll:

I prefer hobby. :wink:

Dave

Thank you for setting me straight Dave. Hobby / lifestyle / chosen path / or DESTINY:biggrin:!!!! all are more appropriate than obsession.

Started building my first UDS

got some barrels, they sure are pretty...

They are pretty clean inside, will burn them later
PC170012.jpg

Cut one up...
PC200017.jpg

welded the top 1/4 to the bottom for a very short drum...
Picture021.jpg

finish welded mini-drum...
PC200018.jpg

then I cut off the bottom of the second drum and welded the lid to the bottom, cut out the inner portion of the lid so its a big tube, and now I can place the upper drum onto the mini-drum. The mini-drum on the bottom will be my fire-box and I can remove the upper drum to start and clean the firebox.

Heres what it looks like stacked...

Picture025.jpg

sorry, couldn't rotate it and get it to stay that way.

Will post more pics soon.

Jaronimo, that is a good mod. Better then the mod I did for easy cleanup. I have had some air leak problems that make it a bit tough to keep the temps below 275. I have been shutting down all intakes and blocking off 1/2 of the 2" exhaust pipe. I love the cleanup being so easy, but want a more airtight cooker.

Also depending on the height of your mini drum you can get two racks in and still use a flat lid.

Please let us know how the temps hold during your first cook!!!!!!

Very cool mod IMHO.

Jaronimo, that is a good mod. Better then the mod I did for easy cleanup. I have had some air leak problems that make it a bit tough to keep the temps below 275. I have been shutting down all intakes and blocking off 1/2 of the 2" exhaust pipe. I love the cleanup being so easy, but want a more airtight cooker.

Also depending on the height of your mini drum you can get two racks in and still use a flat lid.

Please let us know how the temps hold during your first cook!!!!!!

Very cool mod IMHO.

I did it that way so I could use one of the locking rings to force the top to seal to the bottom. It sounds good on paper, will have to see when I fire it up!

It's not needed on the UDS but it's always nice to have a extra toy.

How many use a drip pan with the UDS smoker?

Andyll

It depends on what I am making, this weekends cook I used both grates and had the Bacon drip over the Ribs and Chicken underneath.

I made two picnics last week and used a drip pan...just because...

First UDS update 2

Got some more work done on my UDS today. Gonna name it the JDS™ which stands for Jaronimo Drum Smoker©

Worked on the firebox today...
firebox1.jpg

Read about some issues people had with ash build-up and having to shake or kick the barrel to shake the ashes. That was when I had the idea for the JJC™, which is the Jaronimo Jiggly Crank©
JJC11.jpg

The JJC™ is a bar with square tubing and a handle. When you turn the handle it vibrates up against the ashtray and shakes out any loose ash...
JJC9.jpg

Heres a picture of the JDS™ with the top barrel attached to the firebox with the lever clamp that keeps the barrel tops on tight.
JDS1.jpg

Have not burned the barrel out yet, waiting till I get everything welded up first. Maybe this week I will burn it. I have to get rid of the Castrol paint and change it to Texaco since my father in law and grandfather in law both retired from Texaco.

You can see the two welding burns on above the Castrol logo, those are my two racks. The bottom rack is 25 inches about the fire grate and the top is 32 inches above it. I get 7 inches on the top rack with a flat lid on the JDS™. I am looking for a Weber or Uniflame domed lid and will hinge that on once I find one. I am also carving a wooden handle for the Jaronimo Jiggly Crank© because that bolt hanging on there is just too ugly.

I like the mods.
I don't care for the like the name though, it is a UDS.
Naming it after yourself using many other peoples ideas is a bit over the top for me.

I like the mods.
I don't care for the like the name though, it is a UDS.
Naming it after yourself using many other peoples ideas is a bit over the top for me.

Sorry. It was supposed to be funny.

And the JJC™ was not someone elses idea.

Hope to have it finished sometime this week. With a little luck I can get another warm day so I can paint it.

Nice build.

I really like the JJC. I would think I larger square tube would work better. More jiggle but I'm not basing that on anything. Let us know how it works.

Back