• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Training days are never fun. Especially on a Saturday. Got a new kid to help out on weekends, which will be great once he's up to speed. But today he was just thrown into the fire. Chaos pretty much sums it up, epecially since my right-hand man was off today. The other new person starts tomorrow, so that should be another interesting day.

Sold out a little before 6:30 today. It was an insane early rush compared to other Saturdays. And it's painful to watch all the cars pulling in and turning around when they see the sold out sign this past hour.

Remember all of that meat in the cooler? Yeah, there may not be quite enough to finish the day tomorrow.

One thing I never anticipated through all of this is how you can become a local celebrity almost overnight. And I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm quite an introvert and typically shy away from crowds, so getting into the hospitality industry is the last thing I should have done. But all of the new attention is certainly stressful. Seems like everywhere I go in town people stop me and want to talk. And at the restaurant, everyone can't wait to bend my ear for 20 minutes, invite me to various events, etc. That's a complete 180 of my personality, so that aspect has been tough to deal with.

Oh well. Since my main cook isn't in today I have to go trim brisket myself tonight. It's been a while...

Training days are never fun. Especially on a Saturday. Got a new kid to help out on weekends, which will be great once he's up to speed. But today he was just thrown into the fire. Chaos pretty much sums it up, epecially since my right-hand man was off today. The other new person starts tomorrow, so that should be another interesting day.

Sold out a little before 6:30 today. It was an insane early rush compared to other Saturdays. And it's painful to watch all the cars pulling in and turning around when they see the sold out sign this past hour.

Remember all of that meat in the cooler? Yeah, there may not be quite enough to finish the day tomorrow.

One thing I never anticipated through all of this is how you can become a local celebrity almost overnight. And I know it doesn't make sense, but I'm quite an introvert and typically shy away from crowds, so getting into the hospitality industry is the last thing I should have done. But all of the new attention is certainly stressful. Seems like everywhere I go in town people stop me and want to talk. And at the restaurant, everyone can't wait to bend my ear for 20 minutes, invite me to various events, etc. That's a complete 180 of my personality, so that aspect has been tough to deal with.

Oh well. Since my main cook isn't in today I have to go trim brisket myself tonight. It's been a while...

Been a while since I checked in, glad to see things are going well. Very happy for you.

Marubozo,

I manage a very busy restaurant for a well known name. Smiling and connecting with customers is just part of the job, and you're serving delicious Q...everyone thinks you've got 20 minutes to sit down with them :blah:

I also understand the pain of training. Someone may show they can work hard, but they're just not up to speed and the rest of the team is getting fired up as well. If you hired the right person, they'll step it up!

Keep up the good work, friend!

since the weather is getting warmer up there you will be slammed. good problem to have compared to the alternative.

Sold out of burnt ends in less than 30 minutes after opening. That's a new record.

And the excitement never ends here as we had to play first responders while in the middle of prep. Heard a loud screech and then saw a car rolling at the corner. So we all ran out there to check on everyone and call 911. Luckily, it was just one guy and he was able to crawl out of the wreckage with only minor injuries. Still scary stuff!

10325233_10152443158669248_2549768056198695745_n.jpg

It's great to live vicariously thru you. I live in So Cal and I'm tempted to go to MI to see what the fuss is all about. I hope the restaurant business is everything you hoped it would be. Congratulations!

Well, today is just the day of records I guess. Sold out of burnt ends in 30 minutes, and at 3:30 we're out of pork and brisket. Down to a couple chickens, a pound of sausage, and a handful of rib tips and that's it. Bright side is I'll get to go home early today I guess.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing your business start up to present. Glad to hear the guy in the accident was ok. Sounds like he almost gave you a drive thru window.

I had a rollover at my corner yesterday. 1 person taken away in the ambulance.

14085329546_966177e6ff_c.jpg

I've been to the Pig! Went up to Kalamazoo to visit some family friends and took a detour on the way back. We were the only ones in there because it was just about closing time, but I had a half rack rib platter and my wife got a chicken sandwich. Both were incredible! My wife and I both got the mac and cheese and I got the coleslaw as a side also. The coleslaw was so crisp and fresh. And the mac and cheese is to die for. Rich and delicious. The staff was incredibly friendly and everyone seemed to really enjoy working there. It added to the great atmosphere and experience.

Oh and I got a shirt!

Thanks for the review, defence18. Glad everything was up to par. And for everyone else, a new batch of shirts should be here in a day or two, so I should have some for sale.

That's some fantastic success and I hope it keeps up. I'm sure it is a killer for you to see people turn away because you sell out and probably one of the reasons you are having success is because you are looking at things from the customer side. A lot of owners would be glad to run out early so they know they paid bills that day and don't have to put in the extra hours. Not you. You want everyone to be happy and full of great bbq. Don't ever lose that passion.
When you get to the restaurant in the morning, are you throwing on more meat for dinner service?

When you get to the restaurant in the morning, are you throwing on more meat for dinner service?

Sometimes. I pull all the butts and brisket and then it gets loaded up with ribs, tips, chicken, and sausage. Problem is, on weekends that fills up the smoker so there's no room to throw on any big cuts in the morning. Occasionally we'll put an extra butt or brisket on in the morning to be ready by dinner, but that usually means running out of other meat throughout the day. It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

How Do I get in line for a XL...

As soon as they get here and I get a count of what I have I'll post the info in here.

Just let me know where can I buy the shirt. It's a long drive from middle GA so eating there is a long shot - but I'd wear the fark out of that shirt for you.

On a side note, you may want to try and update your website. All of us here understand the time and effort you've put into this place, but there are still people out there that will gig you for having updates that are three months old. Is there a way you can configure your website updater thingamajiggabobber to pull your latest facebook updates to your website? Similar to the way a twitter feed can give real time tweet updates on websites?

Been watching this thread a while now. I have been saying that a bbq joint serving real bbq would be a great thing in our area. We are only an hour from you near Sturgis, MI. This thread has changed my wife's mind on that prospect.

My bad didn't look at how old this thread was I'll stop in soon.

I'm a OTR truck driver. I load out of Three Rivers a lot.
, and take 60 down to Niles then over to I-94 on US-12. So keep us updated for the grand opening. Good Luck, and I'll Introduce myself when I come in.

Last edited:
Back