Birthday Beans And First Brisket Cook

Oldhoss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got this yesterday:

2eq88qf.jpg

And a few other things....

11aeouh.jpg

I rubbed the brisket with 1/3 salt, 1/3 pepper, 1/6 garlic powder and 1/6 oinion powder by weight....did it last night and it sat for about 7 hours. The red hunk of meat in the front is a piece of cured pork belly rubbed in paprika and chili powder.

Onto the grill at the break of dawn at about 250f running a mix of mostly oak and 30% cherry:

15wkzso.jpg

After a couple hours the pork belly is done:

300tgg0.jpg

Time to make the beans. Half a package of bacon sliced up and on it's way to being crisped:

w88ht0.jpg

Once bacon is crispy put it in a pot and add oinions to bacon fat.....drain off none of the bacon fat:

ff6e83.jpg

After a few minutes add in jalapeno, red and orange peppers:

14r9k5.jpg

Pork belly diced up and crisping abit and my bowl of pinnapples....use canned as they are softer than fresh:

5oy4qc.jpg

Into the pot everything goes along with garlic powder, Guiness and some Jack Daniels bbq sauce:

11v0j0o.jpg

Into some backware and onto the Bradley smoker with hickory and cherry smoke rolling:

zmjb4l.jpg

The brisket after about 5 hours or so internal is almost 160f at this point:

mkdt88.jpg

I spritzed with a combo of 2 parts beef stock to 1 part Guiness. The brisket was pulled and foiled with 2 tbsp of the spritz at 165f and returned to the grill:

2eduwds.jpg

Beans are pulled at an internal of 155f....the pinnapples at his point are just starting to really soften:

2po2i3d.jpg

The brisket is still foiled and I will be starting to smoke that cheese in the Bradley soon. I will update with photos. I posted a question about brisket cooking in general yesterday.....got some good advice and am now putting it to use. Thanks to those who helped.

Last edited:
Is that ice in your grill??

Everything looks really good!

Nope. Tinfoil in the bottom of the kettle and the Bradley has a water bowl below the heat diffuser.

I got ya'!

For a minute I was thinking why the fark does he have ice in his grill!:laugh:

Brisky and beans look great!

Looks like a good B-day meal can't wait to see the finale

Put the rounds of brie and camambert in the Bradley with the heating element shut off and the unit cooled down from the bean cook. I used straight cherry pucks in the end for this. The cheese smoked at about 150f for 2.5 hours:

2ldftcw.jpg

I did not get a shot but he rind turned smokey yellow/brown. I turned the heating element on about 45 minutes or so before guests came and it got up to 230f on the units readout. The cheese was a hit with everyone.

I returned the point of the brisket to the smoker for 2.5 hours then foiled it and put it aside. I shut the kettle down then after about 25 minutes I moved the foiled brisket into it in preparation for eating.....sliced up:

fje369.jpg

The brisket was very good. I am so glad I had some experience smoking food before tackling this one. I was not the only one busy today though boys. My wife made me cornbread, a coconut cake and a lemon merangue pie:

fb9nbb.jpg

There ain't nothing like a fresh lemon merangue pie....eat it while the merangue is still hot...just like cotton candy it is it is:

acc1i0.jpg

Almost as sweet as my wife....unless she's mad then the above rules.

Everything looks great!! Love the looks of that cake and pie too. :-D

Back