• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Identify this wood please?

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Long story short, I told this guy to bring me GOOD wood for smoking,preferably apple, and to let me know ahead of time so I can have some $$.

Shows up today with this truck load of wood WITHOUT notice. Claims its maple. I don't know a thing about wood, this guy shows up with wood I didn't even ask for, So I have to ask before I go digging into this wood!

Honestly I should of told him to just take the stuff home, because it wasn't the "apple" I've been promised for weeks now! This just seems like a lot of junk wood to deal with.

Hate how he all of a sudden shows up with wood he picked up from cleaning his yard, when I asked for GOOD wood! Not crap that's been laying in mud and water for years!

If its maple then fine, but I have no idea what it is!

IMG_1113_zpswp87luwg.jpg

IMG_1114_zps9rewuxjj.jpg

IMG_1115_zpshu8vyz2c.jpg

IMG_1119_zpsmwa799lm.jpg

it looks like the bark on my Maple trees but a leaf will tell it all . a lot of people smoke with Maple but I do not like it because it is real sappy , burns hot and burns up to fast IMO .

it looks like the bark on my Maple trees but a leaf will tell it all . a lot of people smoke with Maple but I do not like it because it is real sappy , burns hot and burns up to fast IMO .

I looked all this wood over for any signs of a leaf. Found two very small ones, that looked like maple, But I couldn't find those specific leaves When i started taking pictures! I don't know! Just rather annoyed at the fact its not what I asked for, and was willing to pay for. Then the guy shows up without any warning!

Hmm, Well I don't know exactly what to do with it! I have hickory and red oak available to cook with right now. I'm not real interested in maple, Never was. I wanted apple but obviously the guy has a hard time showing up randomly with APPLE LOL.

I would just be firm with him and say when you get some apple come see me .:mrgreen:

More like, Don't bother coming back LOL. Dude gave me a headache this evening. Was doing great til he expected me to pay for this crap! Luckily he pretty much gave it to me after I explained I didn't ask for this specific wood, and he showed up with no notice ahead of time.

I agree - it looks pretty much like Silver Maple - the faster growing, softer cousin of the hard maple. By itself, maple gives off a very mild smoke. I like to use it to get a fire going in my big offset cooker - to get the heat up, and to put down a bed of coals. After that, I prefer the more flavorful woods - hickory, oak, apple, pecan, etc.

I would look for another supplier.

Well technically I'll just get free wood from our property! But only thing we have on us is mostly oak/hickory and the rest is stuff like pine, poppler, then if there's anything else on us then We cant identify it LOL

I agree it looks like silver maple.....not nearly as good as the hard maples (sugar and Norway). Silver maple burns much faster than the hard maples and is a lower btu wood compared to hard maple, should give off a typical mild maple smoke though.

Well technically I'll just get free wood from our property! But only thing we have on us is mostly oak/hickory and the rest is stuff like pine, poppler, then if there's anything else on us then We cant identify it LOL

Oak was all I used for years and still my go to for my offset. Pecan is the only other wood that I can get locally besides mesquite. If I could get free oak I would be pretty excited.

if you got access to Oak and Hickory for free then you are set for smoking . I use Oak to get a good bed of coals and then I use Hickory for my smoking wood .

if you got access to Oak and Hickory for free then you are set for smoking . I use Oak to get a good bed of coals and then I use Hickory for my smoking wood .

Well yea, I'm not starving for wood, I just wanted a good batch of apple to cut into chunks for the WSM and have some apple sticks for the stick burners! Oh well! I've got some maple :D I'll probably give it to a buddy that's just getting into smoking

Maple is fine--have a lot of it in my neighborhood.

Like everyone said it looks like the softer kind so you'll have to use more.

Other than that, light it up and go with it.

IMO--unless this guy has come through for you with other wood at a good price I'd change wood guys.

Hey guys, Finally getting tired of this wood sitting in the yard! I decided to cut a few pieces and split it. I've already been told it was maple. Not sure why I'm even posting this. I believe the guy that told me. But here's a picture of the split. It's still damp by touch. Has a pretty sweet smell. It's an interesting smell, although I'm not an expert at smelling wood LOL

IMG_1302_zpsifbljntp.jpg

It splits really easy. Like I said it feels "damp" after splitting so I figure it will need time to dry. I'm excited to split it and start stacking it! Since it pretty much splits its self It wont take long to go through. It's maple of some kind. I was told if it feels damp then expect to let it dry for 4-6 months. any other opinions?

I sometimes go by the smell of wood too on figuring out what kind it is with out a leaf and even my kids can tell the difference when splitting it now . I bet you will remember what Maple smells like and the dampness of the touch after being split , this is a useful tool . :biggrin1:

Back