Bark on bark off

C

cookswithfire

This is for the woodburning brothers.Has anyone ruined any meat by smoking with wood with bark.Iwas wondering if its a old bbquers urban legend or is fact? thanks
CWF

Iv'e never ruined a cut with bark on.

Now I'm not throwing hunks of pure bark on the fire mind you, but if I get a box of cut up peach limbs (thanks nthole) or cherry chunks (thank Phil) with some bark on, it don't seem to matter much.

Someone down in AL was gonna send some maple (I think it was). Wouldn't hesitate to use it if there was some bark present :)

CWF,
I just don't have to deal with bark on the Oak I use. Cut 3-5 cords a year and just pick out the Primo for smoker wood.
I don't like bark on my wood in storage because that is where the "buggies" love to built their nasty little homes, especially in Oak.
I have some Apple in stock with thin bark on there like glue. Gonna "burn away" when I am ready to use it.
Picking up (I hope) some Orange wood compliments of Hurricane Charley next week. Will be mostly branches with bark on. Not gonna worry.
Just get off what you can and "smoke on" :lol:
Just my nickle.
TIM

I've always been a bark on guy. Used hickory, cherry, apple and red oak all with bark on and never had any problems.

If its thick and loose and easy, off it comes and I throw it into the beds for more mulch. If its a job to remove, then I never obsess about it and never noticed any difference.

kapndsl said:
CWF,
I just don't have to deal with bark on the Oak I use. Cut 3-5 cords a year and just pick out the Primo for smoker wood.
I don't like bark on my wood in storage because that is where the "buggies" love to built their nasty little homes, especially in Oak.
I have some Apple in stock with thin bark on there like glue. Gonna "burn away" when I am ready to use it.
Picking up (I hope) some Orange wood compliments of Hurricane Charley next week. Will be mostly branches with bark on. Not gonna worry.
Just get off what you can and "smoke on" :lol:
Just my nickle.
TIM
that is where the "buggies" love to built their nasty little homes, especially in Oak.
Will buggies ruin your fire? I thought they might add character :mrgreen:

Will buggies ruin your fire? I thought they might add character
Actually, maybe some protein :lol:
I had a couple of little buggies on some old Oak.
Laid the peices on top of the firebox to preheat.
Had a ball waching them scurry from side to side to side looking for a way off the wood--Too funny :lol:
I could almost hear tiny little squeeky voices saying "Help me, Help me" in terror.
So, I did--
A final "flick of the fingernail" and they were crispy critters.
TIM

cookswithfire said:
Will buggies ruin your fire? I thought they might add character :mrgreen:

I like watching em dance when the heat hits them.

Speaking only for hickory; I've found if the wood isn't properly seasoned having the bark on can make the smoke especially bitter. Heavy bark on seasoned wood doesn't affect taste but can produce flyaway ash that can goop up the bark on your foodstuff. I use a sharp machete to shave the rough stuff off anything large enough to split. It's the wood that makes it good.

the thin bark stuff like apple i leave on obviously, but the thisk stuff like cherry, oak or hickory i alway remove it. I dont think i have ever ruined anything because of it, but i just do like the smell of it in the firebox.

Bigmista said:
Bark on..Bark off...

Mr. Miyagi Mod

Very good Mod Daniel-san (said while snatching a fly from the air with chopsticks).

BBQchef33 said:
the thin bark stuff like apple i leave on obviously, but the thisk stuff .

I've never used thisk.

Is it in the Alder family?

DingleBerry said:
BBQchef33 said:
the thin bark stuff like apple i leave on obviously, but the thisk stuff .

I've never used thisk.

Is it in the Alder family?

Rev. Berry, thisk is the wood of choice for chusck roasts.

kcquer said:
Rev. Berry, thisk is the wood of choice for chusck roasts.

Thanks K

I just picked up a chusck roll last week.

And you can drop the Reverend stuff. I got kicked out and had to lay low for a while.

I touched something I shouldnt have

I try (but not too hard) to take it off. Why? Wood barks contain tannin. Tannins are used as tanning agents for leather because they transform proteins into insoluble products that are resistant to decomposition, There are two types of tannin: Catechol and Pyrogallol. Oak bark (for example) contains both types. Oak bark reportedly averages 10% tannin.

From http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/tannin/toxic_effects.html

Tannins act as a defense mechanism in plants against pathogens, herbivores and hostile environmental conditions. Generally, tannins induce a negative response when consumed. These effects can be instantaneous like astrigency or a bitter or unpleasant taste or can have a delayed response related to antinutritional/toxic effects.

products that are resistant to decomposition,
So..if I use bark I wont have to refridgerate what i smoke :wink:
And if the meat is too bitter I will give it to my inlaws :twisted:

Back