Ummm... WSM not shutting down

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
How long does it take a WSM to shutdown after you close all the vents? I closed them all about 90 mins ago. I just checked it and she was purring along at 228* on the top rack and 232* on the lower rack. I opened the door, still nice smelling smoke coming out and she is now up to 232* / 241*.

I guess I'll throw some sausages on and let them cook. I want to start my brisket around 6 pm (2.5 hours from now). I guess I will need to add more charcoal. Any special way to do that to keep the minion going?

When they're new they may not seal well enough to extinguish the charcoal. Things you can do to help:

1) Make sure the door fits well. It can be shaped to minimize the gaps.

2) Make sure the mid section is round. It can be brought back to round by strategically hugging it.

3) Smoke a few butts or racks of ribs in it to build up the film on the inside. That will help it to seal.

I had that with mine when it was new and fixed it with a bead of high temp silicone rubber on the bottom of the mid section.

DSC_1315-PP.JPG

I never had much luck shutting mine down (do not have one any more). I just got real good at estimating fuel needed and quit trying.

When they're new they may not seal well enough to extinguish the charcoal. Things you can do to help:

1) Make sure the door fits well. It can be shaped to minimize the gaps.

2) Make sure the mid section is round. It can be brought back to round by strategically hugging it.

3) Smoke a few butts or racks of ribs in it to build up the film on the inside. That will help it to seal.

I had that with mine when it was new and fixed it with a bead of high temp silicone rubber on the bottom of the mid section.

DSC_1315-PP.JPG

Thanks Hank. When I first fired her up high, I had smoke coming out from the vents of course, but also where the lid meets the mid section, and also around the door. I read somewhere yesterday of a mod someone did to help seal the door. He bought some sort of replacement BGE gasket, cut it to fit and then glued it on.

Mid section looked round when I put it together today. I have a large brisket going on in a couple hours. Maybe that will help.

Yes, first time fired was about noon today.

Being new is why you are having problems. After you get a few cooks behind you it will shut down faster. I modified mine with gaskets from www.bbqgaskets.com and have much better temp control, my dome thermometer is more accurate than before and when I shut all the vents after a cook the temps drop quickly. Congrats on the new WSM. You re going to love it.

Being new is why you are having problems. After you get a few cooks behind you it will shut down faster. I modified mine with gaskets from www.bbqgaskets.com and have much better temp control, my dome thermometer is more accurate than before and when I shut all the vents after a cook the temps drop quickly. Congrats on the new WSM. You re going to love it.

Thanks for the link. Did you just buy the door gasket or the complete gasket kit? I would think since I had some leaks around the lid I should get the whole kit.

As I expected, my dome therm is off by about 8*, but that is why I have the Maverick.

Thanks for the link. Did you just buy the door gasket or the complete gasket kit? I would think since I had some leaks around the lid I should get the whole kit.

As I expected, my dome therm is off by about 8*, but that is why I have the Maverick.

I got the kit and did the door and the lid. I think I have enough leftover to do the lid of my 26.75.

If you can swing it, the best option for the door is the Cajun Bandit door. It fits great and is a lot thicker metal.

Back