THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meatatarian

Got Wood.
Thanks to bison raising relatives we are familiar with and enjoy a good helping of buffalo. A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to try smoking a plate of shorts from this magnificent beast. Due to grazing conditions in our area, the butcher was out of buff but trying to find a new source. I put in my order and got the call the other day. I rec'd a full plate cut in half. On one half I removed the large cap of meat for a braising to be held in the future. The other half I left intact--minus membrane of course. The morsels have been rubbed with a brisket profile that I played with a bit and are resting comfortably in the fridge. The smoking will commence tomorrow noonish in my offset using a blend of hickory and red oak. Methinks super low and slow with lots of basting to keep that red meat moist and tender.

Attachments

• Buff Bones 1.jpg
    Buff Bones 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 304
  • Buff Bones 2.jpg
    Buff Bones 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 304
  • Rubbed Buff Bones 1.jpg
    Rubbed Buff Bones 1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Things are looking good here friends! These are the shorts coming out of the fridge after an overnighter. Next are the ribs hitting the smoker.

Attachments

• Next day.jpg
    Next day.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Hittin' the smoker.jpg
    Hittin' the smoker.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Thanks
The next 2 are the first mopping at 1 hour @240 degrees. The 2nd is right at 2 hours as I was removing to wrap. I am thinking I am going to pull the "bare bones" ribs after an hour in the crutch and sear them off for a total cook time of just over 3 hours. The half plate with the meat cap will stay in the wrap for 2 hours plus a sear for just over 4 hours. Hopefully the silver skin between the cap and the top of the bones on the intact section will be softened up by then. If not---I'll learn from it as I eat around it!!

Attachments

• First mop.jpg
    First mop.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 2 Hours:time to wrap.jpg
    2 Hours:time to wrap.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Thanks
Here is the stripped down half plate. 2 hours smoke--1 hour crutch--15 minute sear and sauce. This half plate was slightly dry even with much mopping. I would drop it to a 205 degree cook and keep everything else the same. Maybe a little salty but for taking a brisket rub and mop and trying to punch it up I am happy. I wouldn't call this half a 10 but it certainly wasn't a fail.
When the meaty half is done the pron will come....

Attachments

• Finished bonez 01.jpg
    Finished bonez 01.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Finished bonez 02.jpg
    Finished bonez 02.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 136
I would love to gnaw on one of those right about now. :hungry:

I've never had bison - how does this compare to beef as far as taste, texture, etc. are concerned?

I would love to gnaw on one of those right about now. :hungry:

I've never had bison - how does this compare to beef as far as taste, texture, etc. are concerned?

Come on over! I drink regular Bud!!

Finer grain than beef. Taste is very similar. Very silky bite. There is no "that's a little gamey". Definitely a leaner meat. Don't be afraid of an oil based mop and use oil as a pre rub rather than say a mustard slather. I got more shrinkage than I expected but without the dryness. I would run closer to 200 than 240 next time----and there will be a next time after this. I still have some learning to do but am quite pleased for a first attempt at the great American meat beast......

• Thanks
Back