To the Jambo Owners: Jambo (offset not-reverse) vs. other reverse flow offsets (Lang, Bubba Grills, etc.)

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
To the Jambo users:

I'm trying to understand why it's said to be so much better a smoker than say one of the reverse flow smokers.

I do understand the insulated piece; I get it. That certainly is a factor. Luckily for me I'm down here in the south where it makes a difference, but not nearly the difference if I were located up north...

I'm sure it's probably welded better, and the quality of workmanship shows. I get that.

There's the look of them, and boy do they ever stand out.

But, to the cooking. As they're not reverse flow, dont they have some of the hot (and cool) spots like other non-reverse-flow smokers?

Smoke "balance" across the grate and smoker? Some other non-reverse-flow smokers I've used also had smoke hot spots if you will. Mind you, they weren't Jambo's!

I'm curious. I'd love your opinion, pluses and minuses.

I've smoked on both Bubba Grills smokers and have my own Lang 1160, which come to find out is probably the earliest version 1 of an 84. I love the reverse flow aspect and all that brings. I can cook a whole hog on it, or load it up with shoulders and ribs like no tomorrow.

One thing about a Jambo is the inlet from the firebox is level/slightly above grate level. Therefore the heat/smoke rolls over the top of the food grate as opposed to rising from beneath. Personally I love my Jambo but I think all offsets are wonderful in their own way.....just depends on what you want, what you can afford, or in my case what was available used at an affordable price....just got lucky because of a good brethren.

I don't have a Jambo.. I have an 250 Gallon Regular offset.. with Tuning Plates.. It is just as even accross my cooking chamber as your reverse Flow. Tuning plates are sort of like your baffle plate.. except mine has gaps and is in 10 pieces... on a track.. that i can move and adjust if i want a hot spot.. you can..

I had a Lang and now on my second Jambo and there is just no comparison. The Lang had definite temperature zones throughout the pit. My Jambo's have both been even temped throughout the cooking chamber. All you have to dois cook on both and you'll know the difference. I've said many times that a Lang is a good pit but a Jambo is a great pit.

OK... So i have a question also to the jambo owners.... Does the J-Pit have a water pan???
Is there anything in there to help keep meat moist or are we still using the aluminum pan with water trick next to the firebox?

Back