View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #218
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

... I personally, now that I have my UDS ready somewhat... cannot wait to GO BACK to low and slow. I know people will **** a brick when I say that but I would like to put a brisket back on the smoker at say, 230, just because these things ensure I can.
Not all drums are low-n-slo. One thing to experiment with, and I don't know if it's the same for all upright drum cookers, but I see about a 50° difference in pit temp between the short stem thermometer on the side of the pit and my 12" long thermometer. Both are at the same level, but of course the 12" one is reading temps closer to the center of the drum.

My point is, the first few years I cooked on the BDS's they were happy running at 240° (reading the short stem thermometer), so that was where I cooked.... Then I monitored the grate temps with a cable thermomerter in the middle of the grate for a few cooks which led me to installing the second (12" long stem) thermometer. So, lo and behold, I then realized that I was really cooking in the 290° range all along. Now, when I want to cook at a real low temp, like for a prime rib or some fatties.... I know that < 200° on the short stem therm will give me 240°-250° actual at the center of the grate.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->