• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Real Carnitas.....pics

Not much more to see until its almost done. Notice the small bubbles around the side of pot. This is a low and slow simmer. The block of frozen lard is getting melted and all we see is the skin.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0OTQuanBn.jpg

Oh Dang, I almost forgot a important step, no pics as I was at church. This morning the lard was heated up very hot. It was smoking slightly. The whole chunks of meat were one by one lowered with the hook into the very hot lard and seared, maybe a minute or two. Then removed and set aside untill all pieces and skin was done. If you looked at pics above you notice the skin has some dark color to it from this step. After searing the heat was lowered and the meat placed in low simmering lard to cook.

This is fantastic! I'm used to the Americanized carnitas which are marinated in a chile paste and then baked! This looks incredible

Compa PUGI;

Don't know were you or your inlaws are from, but know this. I am from Coahila and this is an outstanding post!

Are you doing that lamb in the ground "barbacoa" style?

Keep the pics coming

Your are making me homesick

And I thank you

JV

I want to borrow your relatives next time I butcher.. Looks great!!!

This is fantastic! I'm used to the Americanized carnitas which are marinated in a chile paste and then baked! This looks incredible

You can do this style of carnitas with chunks of pork butt, manteca (lard), and a cast iron dutch oven. Yeah, it's not a whole pig, but it works.

Just don't tell your family and friends how you cooked the carnitas. :becky:

CD

Wow, lotta work, but I'm sure the end product is worth it. I'm feeling kinda bad about doing carnitas with chuncks of pork butt in the turkey fryer now.:redface:

I love real carnitas. There was one resturaunt in L.A. I used to go to regularly to enjoy. Up here in the PNW, I don't even bother ordering carnitas. From what I can tell, it is just boiled meat

Those big pots remind me of many trips down into Baja. You could be in the middle of nowhere and roll up on a side of the road shack where they would be cooking the pig this same exact way

Damn, now I've got a hankerin'

Ok, so the carnitas is almost done. Here we have salt diluted with water. We pour this in to the pot. It was not enough after the taste test so we added a little more. That is the total ingredients, meat, lard and salt. Sometimes simple is better.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MDAuanBn.jpg

Checking for doneness. A simple tug with the hook tells you if it falls apart.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MDQuanBn.jpg

A little taste for the chefs, this is the skin. It turns into a gelatinous glob that would stick on the wall if thrown. The taste is wonderfully, the texture is aquired.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MDguanBn.jpg

Dipping to remove some of the lard. We need to lower the level to remove the meat. All together there was probably 15 to 20 gallons of lard for a big pig like this.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MTcuanBn.jpg

For you rib lovers, take a look at these.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MTQuanBn.jpg

After lowering the lard level a bit. A big pile of love.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MTkuanBn.jpg

A little out of sequence, this was before we dipped out the lard. The sun came through the trees to show the beautiful color of the lard. The little bit of foam was from adding the salted water. It burned off in a bit. This is my favorite picture of the day.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MTYuanBn.jpg

Can you say fall off the bone. A little over done by Bbq standards but perfect for carnitas standards.

utf-8BSU1BRzA1MjMuanBn.jpg

Back