• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pretty Good BBQ 2012, Dayton, Ohio

And they were also our del team....tray of ribs to the 911 call center, tray of ribs to the emegency room, and tray each to fire dept and police station.....wondering what they all did for food last year?????

Planning on it! I was just thinking about this even the other day! I need to clear the date with my secretary (wife) to make sure there's not something I'm missing, but plan on making the event! Community service is fantastic, but I also can't wait to meet all the Brethren that will be there!:thumb:

This hasn't been decided, but please do keep in mind that, while the cops coming by were a plus, there are cops from both Dayton and Beavercreek that would come by the other campus. Also keep in mind that the church may have its reasons for having the cooking done at the other campus. It's still a very valuable outreach, regardless of where we cook.

I do agree that it should be at the Dayton campus, but if the church decides it's to be held at the Beavercreek campus, so be it. The added benefit to that is that we'll not only serve the Dayton community, but potentially pull in even more people to serve overnight and get involved that wouldn't if it's held at the Dayton church building.

There are pros and cons to each, but if the church has a liability or insurance issue, that likely outweighs other things.

I'm also asking for a portajohn, and asked for it to be placed immediately adjacent to wherever Jeff sets up his stuff.

If you are getting a protapotty then Billie is not allowed to come.

This hasn't been decided, but please do keep in mind that, while the cops coming by were a plus, there are cops from both Dayton and Beavercreek that would come by the other campus. Also keep in mind that the church may have its reasons for having the cooking done at the other campus. It's still a very valuable outreach, regardless of where we cook.

I do agree that it should be at the Dayton campus, but if the church decides it's to be held at the Beavercreek campus, so be it. The added benefit to that is that we'll not only serve the Dayton community, but potentially pull in even more people to serve overnight and get involved that wouldn't if it's held at the Dayton church building.

There are pros and cons to each, but if the church has a liability or insurance issue, that likely outweighs other things.

I'm also asking for a portajohn, and asked for it to be placed immediately adjacent to wherever Jeff sets up his stuff.

Attachments

• Billy in action.jpg
    Billy in action.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 150
I'm not sure what you want me to have heard, but we know the dates (May 5 & 6). The location is being discussed, and there may be good reason to not have us at the Dayton campus. That discussion is still ongoing, though.

We're already collecting donations for meat, thinking that people that support it financially may also get more invested physically. The men's group has grown to the point that I'm hoping we don't have a couple of guys out there, but instead have a camp of people. I think a chunk of the meat will likely be donated by Tom, who anyone that was here 2 years ago met. He owns franchise number 1 of a local bbq "chain" that was started by the guy that I used to compete with.

The only thing in question that I'm aware of is the exact location. My thoughts, and those shared here, have been fervently expressed, and we'll be talking more.

Other than that, you'll have to be more specific, Roger.

Official word is...

We cook in Dayton, not Beavercreek!

We've got more guys involved this year, and I think we'll have a better turn out to help you all that come with setup and break down, and anything in between.

For Saturday, any thoughts/volunteers for mini-classes for guys that want to learn?

We'll get ribs and stuff again to have ready for police, etc.

Curt last year durning night we sent a tray of ribs to the E.R. and to the 911 call ctr and to the firedept.

I'll guarantee that you didn't do that last year. :doh: But I know that food was sent to the dispatchers, etc. Some even went to the care flight people at the hospital.

I was kind of asked something about why we want to be in Dayton instead of the nicer, safer Beavercreek. They wanted to know, and not in an accusatory way, if it was about serving the community or feeding the poor.

I told them that it's all about serving the community. If it were about feeding the poor, we'd prefer to stay in a safer place and just bring in the food. Serving the community means being there during the whole process, allowing the community to be there with us.

The men's group is bigger this year, and they've been hearing how much this means to the neighborhood. My goal is that as many as can possibly be there will be around Saturday for at least a couple hours, then shifts of, hopefully, 8 or so at a time, then everyone again Sunday morning.

I'd like to hear what you guys would like to improve the event from your side. I've already got the portajohn on my list... Besides, it gives Clark's tent something to be tied down to... But other than that, what would you like? More help? Anything that comes to mind.

I was talking to the group last night, and told them that they need to come out to find out how a group of men should come together to serve.

Not as an official role call, but can those of you that are planning on coming give me a quick paragraph, whatever, telling me WHY you're coming? I want to relay it back to the guys to get them as involved as possible.

Guess I go first. I think is was Dive who said "Because He asked" and we came. It does mean alot being down in the poor section and serving the poor and homeless. Every year they come up to us durning the night just watching and asking questions about the smokers. When ask if they would like some food (because we have food)they turn it down politly and say they will be back tomorrow and thank us for what we are doing. Being there makes all the difference in the world. We have never had trouble down there and it puts it into why we are there being down there instead of a suburb. I for one thank them for the decision. I will be there with deer chili and maybe goetta for breakfast. And this year we should dedicate it to Pastor Chambers who is fighting for his life and would rather be there fighting for the title of "Best ABT"

I plan on coming Curt.
Why? Well there are a number of reasons.
First, because you asked.
Second, because as a disciple of Jesus Christ, I have been taught: I am to be a servant; I am to consider others more worthy than myself; I am to preach the Gospel everyday, and to use words if I have too.
Third, serving like this sets a wonderful example for my sons. I want them to learn to serve. I want them to experience how being selfless and giving fills you up.

Why? Its a personal and spiritual pilgrimage... a drive to bbq.

It has expanded many Brethren members' vision of hope as well.
After the PGBBQ was started... several of us independently volunteer and respond to cook for a non-profit outfit "Operation BBQ Relief" in our home states that was impacted by natural disasters in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Nice to see its being held at the Dayton location.:thumb:

Thanks for more input... Other guys, help me out here.

The men's group is being "challenged" to really be a part of this more than ever. I want to get a crew of guys to stay the whole night, helping out, or at least eating whatever food you all fix for them. :) Giving them your input on why you come to Ohio to do this is a huge help... I would really appreciate as much input as possible!

Back