FEC100 used Price?

firefighter4634

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey gang, I found a BBQ dealer that has a used two year old FEC100 that he said has been cooked on about a dozen times and is asking 2400.00 for it. Just wondering if this is a good price. I also have some questions about it versus a BWS Fatboy.

1. Between the two which unit will hold the most ribs and Butts without over crowding it?

2. I have read that the FEC100 has had some issues with the electronics, is this just one guy that had some trouble or is it more common?

3. I currently use a Large BGE and it is very cost effective to operate for long cooks. Does anyone have an idea on how much it cost with the FEC to operate per hr?

If it was me, I would get the BWS. I prefer BBQ cooked over charcoal/wood.

Yeah, I think I would have to agree. Plus there would be no electronics to break down. However being able to go to bed at night and not worry about your PIT temp would be nice also. But from what I have read the BWS hold temps really well. I just wish they were not so far behind, the dealer I talked with said they are about eight weeks out.

Yeah, I think I would have to agree. Plus there would be no electronics to break down. However being able to go to bed at night and not worry about your PIT temp would be nice also. But from what I have read the BWS hold temps really well. I just wish they were not so far behind, the dealer I talked with said they are about eight weeks out.

It's a high quality, built to order, product. Good things are worth waiting for.

I've never cooked on a Fatboy, so i can't comment on the number of butts, but you can easily do 16 butts in an FEC-100. If you use the standard shelves you can also cook 16 racks of ribs flat on the shelf. If you want to cook a bunch of ribs Cookshack makes rib racks that will hold more ribs. These replace the standard shelves.

As far as the electronics, I have used mine heavily for four years without any issues. Just like any product, there are always those that have issues, and they tend to be the most vocal. No one posts about their car running flawlessly, but if it has an issue they post about the issue.

For a typical competition cook my FEC is running for about 18 hours and I use about 10 lbs of pellets. I bought pellets in bulk and a 40 lb. sleeve was about $16.00, so a typical comp costs me about $4.00 in pellets. That's hard to beat.

Now, remember that any pellet cooker is going to give you a lighter smoke flavor that a stick burner or a charcoal cooker like a backwoods, so keep that in mind,

I have one of each of them and both have their good/bad points. What do you want to do with it? Compete? Vend? Entertain?

That's a good price for a lightly used unit and Cookshack has absolutely first class support if you have any problems (which are rare).

BTW you can get great smoky flavor from a pellet cooker but you have to adapt your recipes and approaches if you're coming from the stick world. Don't buy it if you're not willing to learn how to use it and only like very heavy smoke as the overriding flavor in your cooking.

I have one of each of them and both have their good/bad points. What do you want to do with it? Compete? Vend? Entertain?

I am mostly looking to entertain, but may get into doing some catering for local friends: graduation parties, church groups etc. We also have a local fair that I thought about vending at to help pay for it. The guy that has it for sale said that he uses a small SS pan in the bottom with a small amount of charcoal and some wood to help in getting a better smoke flavor . However I currently use a large BGE with lump and some wood chunks and dont care for a very strong smoke taste.

Back