View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Guinness Beer Can Chickens Pron

I know what all you physicists are going to say, the beer doesn't add any flavor, it doesn't get hot enough to steam the chicken, blah blah blah. But I still like playing around with beer can chickens.
I have a dual beer can chicken holder, but it only holds narrow cans for some reason. Then I had an idea, Guinness Beer Can Chicken!

I had forgotten about the "widget" in Guinness draft cans. It is a plastic device that sends nitrogen into the beer when you pop the top. I had to widen the opening of the cans enough to pop the widget out, then I heated the beer up to a boil before pouring half a beer in each can.

On the WSM, water pan removed so it's basically a UDS now. Plugged the top of the chickens with a shallot to hold the steam in. Ployboys Yardbird for the rub. Kept temps between 310 and 325.

Pulled after about 90 minutes. Chicken was just crazy moist and full of flavor. Wifey and I ate all the legs, wings and thighs and the breast meat will go towards smokey chicken salad. I don't care what all you beer can chicken poo-pooers think, I still love making and eating it!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 07-26-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote