October 1 & 2 Fine Swine at the Pit in Mulberry, Florida

You are trying to please 6 different individuals, who all have different taste preferences and ideas as to what they are looking for in presentation and tenderness. It's a crap shoot. It really is.

Question: The team that won the competition, were they local to the area where the contest was held? You said "we were the newest team and just about the only team that wasn't a caterer, full or part-time equipment manufacturer, vendor, or restaurant operator." Might have been a factor if some of the judges were use to someone's cooking.

Roger on the "crap shoot".
I am doing "data analysis" for the next week or two to identify the exact pluses and "take aways" we received. First look says we don't know what they are looking for when the box is opened, but love the taste and texture. We can fix "looks"--easy!

I have pics of the turn-ins. Once DF gets a chance to see them, I will post for the Brothers comments. We have already figured out some fixes and will proceed!

Winning team was kinda local, but all of them were.
No excuses there.
There was one neighbor for which we got to see his presentations. He was "really proud" of his work.
To be a bit "catty", it sure looked like a sculpted one to me with a mix of sliced and pulled aranged in a "unique manner". Now, in fairness, he would have to had drawn the "correct" judges or judge to influence the scoring. I would not have paid for that Q in a restaurant. But, he pulled down $ for some reason.
I am sure that all "lessor scored" teams feel the same way!
I have 4 years time as a judge in gymnastics.
I do not know how the judges in Q'uing make it!!!!!
The bottom line is that DF and I will break the code and kill'em!

TIM

Better to have Q'd and lost than not to have Q'd at all.

So proud of you!!!!!
Those other folks are talking about them new
guys...Think how they feel getting their fannys
kicked by first timers at the event. You certainly
made you presence know.
Great job
MikeG

Well, here they are.
DF and I have allready decided to change some things.
These are not final decisions, just initial thoughts while we were exhausted.
Chickie looses its skin.
Ribs go to St Louis cut.
Pork will probably be chunks with good bark around the outside with shredded in the middle.
Brisket may be cut smaller with some shredded on a side or corner (this is what the gabby neighbor did and won $).
Pondering some other things.
We are going to Judges class at the end of the month. That will help a lot!
Just gotta figure out what "pretty" is and I think we will be fine.
FBA requires a minimum of 8 servings, not 6. Boxes get really full and we need smaller servings.

Suggestions?

TIM

What shade is your nail polish? Really goes well with the sauce!

Seriously though it looks awesome to me! I'll seconed what Solidkick said. I'd eat you cooking anytime!

Great job guys!

That's some mighty fine lookin Q there fellas.

First thoughts. Brisket - uniform in size may have gotten you aa little higher on the appearance scale. Maybe that is why you got the one 7.5 score.

Ribs - definately go St. Louis style with those spares. I would give a little higher appearance score for St. Louis also.

Can't comment on taste or tenderness. As far as the chicken goes, did you crisp up the skin in a hotspot before glazing?

parrothead said:
First thoughts. Brisket - uniform in size may have gotten you aa little higher on the appearance scale. Maybe that is why you got the one 7.5 score.

Ribs - definately go St. Louis style with those spares. I would give a little higher appearance score for St. Louis also.

Can't comment on taste or tenderness. As far as the chicken goes, did you crisp up the skin in a hotspot before glazing?
Greg--thanks for the good comments.
Brisket size has got to go down and St Louis style is there next time.
I saw a brisket turn-in that had pieces about 1" X 5", or less.
All nice and even rectangles, and he scored $.

Can't remember about the skin. I was "trashed" and busy elsewhere.
DF will jump in on that one.
Our feeling is that there is a small chance of raising your score for "primo" skin. But, there is a high probablility of trashing the score if it is not perfect.
So, pending further changes, skin is gone next time. Will stay open on the subject, for sure.
Thanks a million,
TIM

The skin was OK - it wouldn't crisp but I did put it over the heat for a bit to "dry" it out -- it's still smoked chicken skin which basically always sucks! Even "skinless" the thighs will be cooked "skin on" and then finished with reseasoning and sauce. Maybe we'll see some "trick" at the judges training and state championship.

The brisket is a puzzler - we're going with trimmed pieces next time but that borders on "sculpting and shaping" the meat - in my opinion. Again, I believe going thru the judge's class will clarify this a bit.

Of course our next outing in November is KCBS so all bets are off. We've got to play the lettuce/parsley game at Plant City.

Back