Uds chicken practice

Pig_Farmer

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
1st off, I only had 4 thighs. Didn't feel like thawing a whole package.

Used some Plowboys Yardbird for seasonings. 1st time using it...love it! Ran at 250 for first hour. Pulled chicken outta the pan after an hour and placed on the uds grill. Bumped up the temp to 275 for the next hour. Glazed the chicken with about 15 minutes before pulling off.

Verdict: great flavor, bite through skin. The skin still had some soggieness to it, almost rubbery. But, bite through. How do I avoid that? Or is that just the way it is?

Attachments

• 20180203_115804.jpg
    20180203_115804.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 20180203_120403.jpg
    20180203_120403.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 407
If you go a little longer and a little hotter in the steam pan and shorter direct, you can probably get the skin to render better. Otherwise the bite looks good. You'll want to clean up the shape of those pieces for a comp though.

If you go a little longer and a little hotter in the steam pan and shorter direct, you can probably get the skin to render better. Otherwise the bite looks good. You'll want to clean up the shape of those pieces for a comp though.

I will try that on the next practice. I agree with the looks. Can definitely use some more practice on my chicken trimming skills. :icon_smil

i am going to critique you in an effort to help you improve so don't take it personally as i actually suck at chicken, but... as you know your trimming and size are off. only four pieces i know but if you are in a competition and you have four or forty, try to get them the same shape and size. the sauce is also uneven and blotchy in thickness and color. cameras do weird things but some pieces look too carmelized. overall i think they all look too dark.

i am going to critique you in an effort to help you improve so don't take it personally as i actually suck at chicken, but... as you know your trimming and size are off. only four pieces i know but if you are in a competition and you have four or forty, try to get them the same shape and size. the sauce is also uneven and blotchy in thickness and color. cameras do weird things but some pieces look too carmelized. overall i think they all look too dark.

Thank you for your reply rookiedad. I get you on all of it. Pay more attention to the trimming. Lighter on the sauce or should I thin it out more? I usually cut the sauce with apple juice. I guess not enough. I appreciate the criticism.

You can thin with apple juice or get a sauce that is thinner out of the bottle.

Agree with rookiedad, a bit dark, uneven, and thick sauce.

Much better than when I started though!

That's a tightly covered pan, right? That's the key. If it's not bite through, keep it sealed longer.

Back