smoky joe pork fried rice

I love Fried Rice!! Looking forward to the chicken fried rice pron.
That's a real nice wok. What's the brand?

smokemaster1, believe it or not it's a 'food network' brand non-stick wok. I'm not much of a woker, I might use it 3 or 4 times a year. When I went shopping for one & saw how much the real ones were I grabbed this one I think for about $30, it has served me very well for a couple years now. Though if this fried rice thing works out & makes its way into the regular rotation I may have to go out & invest in a bigger & better one :wacko:

010_zpsb82ca157.jpg

I picked up a nice authentic steel wok online for about $30.
I've done fried rice many times and would give some comments.
- It's much better with day old rice, opposed to recently cooked rice.
- Right before you toss in the rice and everything else throw in an egg or two.
- A dash of sesame oil is also adds a nice nutty flavor.
- Sesame seeds and scallions to top it off.
I've generally always used frozen veggies for fried rice, never had a problem with them. I forget who, but someone makes a good frozen stir fry bag, with onions and peppers.

The rice looks outstanding Zippylip.

Can I ask what you put in sauce wise? Just soy sauce?

Thanks, and yep just soy sauce. I think it was darker partly because it was brown rice and partly because of the soy sauce. I tried the whole thing again & put much less of it in (too salty for me), and instead cooked the rice in chicken broth to give it more flavor, then just a few drops of soy sauce & I think it came out better

I picked up a nice authentic steel wok online for about $30.
I've done fried rice many times and would give some comments.
- It's much better with day old rice, opposed to recently cooked rice.
- Right before you toss in the rice and everything else throw in an egg or two.
- A dash of sesame oil is also adds a nice nutty flavor.
- Sesame seeds and scallions to top it off.
I've generally always used frozen veggies for fried rice, never had a problem with them. I forget who, but someone makes a good frozen stir fry bag, with onions and peppers.

That sounds really cheap for a real wok, sounds like I should've done some more poking around before I bought the other one. I did try the day old rice on the next cook and it was better. As for the eggs, I wanted them in here but had none, they do add a great touch to fried rice. Have a severe sesame allergy so I although I love it, must avoid it like the plague lest I blow up like a Willie Wonka blueberry.

Completely missed the scallions too, will do on the next batch - thanks

That sounds really cheap for a real wok, sounds like I should've done some more poking around before I bought the other one. I did try the day old rice on the next cook and it was better. As for the eggs, I wanted them in here but had none, they do add a great touch to fried rice. Have a severe sesame allergy so I although I love it, must avoid it like the plague lest I blow up like a Willie Wonka blueberry.

Completely missed the scallions too, will do on the next batch - thanks

I have a 14" carbon steel 2 wood handle one from wokshop.com.
I also picked up a bunch of their accessories/tools. the web site made me kind of reluctant to order but I'm glad I did. I've had it now for about 4 years and love it.

Thanks! I've never used frozen, but I have been eying the Birdseye stir fry veggie mix. Sure would be easier to just have them in the freezer without worrying they'll go bad in the fridge before you get around to cooking them. Not that I know anything about that...:roll:

I have been using Costco frozen stir fry veggies for a long time, they are real handy and and work fine

Zippy your meal looks great, I do similar. If you have a Trader Joes by you, they have a new stir fry sauce thats very good!!

I have been using Costco frozen stir fry veggies for a long time, they are real handy and and work fine

Zippy your meal looks great, I do similar. If you have a Trader Joes by you, they have a new stir fry sauce thats very good!!

Thanks, for lunch I just choked down the last of the chicken version that I made Monday night. I belong to Sam's Club, will have to check out what they have as well. I do have a Trader Joes about 2 blocks from my office also, will have to have a look see.

Thanks, for lunch I just choked down the last of the chicken version that I made Monday night. I belong to Sam's Club, will have to check out what they have as well. I do have a Trader Joes about 2 blocks from my office also, will have to have a look see.

I cant think of the name of the stuff, but its a new item so it was on an end cap. It has sesame seeds in it. Looks like a bottle BBQ sauce comes in

Back