Whats a n00b like me to smoke?

93civEJ1

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So I got my first 8lb butt under my belt last weekend, smoked it all night while babying temps...pulled it at between 180* and 190* internal on the meat, and let it sit about 35 mins in a cooler in foil. The Q that it made was amazing to be my ever first smoke.

What should I try next? I really want to smoke something else this weekend, but not sure what yet? I would love to do some wings, or try my hand at a fatty, or some sort of chicken....BUT.... since I already did the pulled pork, what do you guys recommend that I do? :shocked:

Pork spare ribs.....they're kind of forgiving, and a staple you have to master....or at least get somewhat down....:-D

Whatever you're in the mood for. That's the great thing about Q'in. Maybe try to mix it up with a fatty and some ribs. Spares were the first thing I learned to smoke. It's hard not to throw a fatty on the smoker every time you fire it up.

ribs and wings.

Thats a great suggestion. :clap2:

I will have to read up on temps and times for wings / ribs since I have never touched either before.

(btw this is on a newly built UDS)

Whatever you're in the mood for. That's the great thing about Q'in. Maybe try to mix it up with a fatty and some ribs. Spares were the first thing I learned to smoke. It's hard not to throw a fatty on the smoker every time you fire it up.

I am still reading up on fatty's and the combo's people put inside. I havent found anything that sounds pleasing yet to put inside. :crazy:

Thats a great suggestion. :clap2:

I will have to read up on temps and times for wings / ribs since I have never touched either before.

(btw this is on a newly built UDS)

i like the carwash mike ribs method, but everyone has their own way....

for this below, substitute big green egg with uds and it's the same thing pretty much.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Baby Back Rib Class

On July 4th, 2010 "Car Wash Mike" McKernan passed away. Mike was a true BBQ ambassador, proud to be an Egghead, and was one of the most distinguished members of the Big Green Egg Forum. He will be missed but never forgotten. I will remember him as being quick to help out the younger cooks and the old hands alike, always handing out good advice, and he never tired of answering the same questions over and over. There is no doubt that Mike is responsible for teaching thousands of folks to barbecue ribs. Since posting Mike's rib method in the summer of 2007, this has been one of my most popular pages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When it comes to pork ribs, many cooks prefer baby back ribs. These do not come from a baby pig, they are simply smaller because they are cut from the part of the rib closest to the backbone. Sometimes known as loin back ribs, they have a distinctive curve of the bone compared to spareribs, which are cut from the belly of a pig. Car Wash Mike, a regular contributor on The Big Green Egg Forum has mastered a technique for cooking these ribs and agreed to share it with me. So here is how Guest Pit Boss, Car Wash Mike, prepares his ribs.

CWMRibs03.jpg

BABY BACK RIB CLASS​

by​

Car Wash Mike​

I don’t claim to be a rib eggspert but I will give you some basics today to get you started in the right direction. First, I cook baby backs exclusively. A 3 pack at Sam’s club works well.​

THE PREP!​

After opening up the package. Pat the ribs down with paper towels. Take the membrane off the bone side. To do this take a paper towel on the small end and pull towards the large end. Today I used Dizzy Pig Original for the rub. Leave the ribs meat side down. Now, I actually rub, the rub in, on the bone in side. Flip over, lightly coat with mustard. The mustard will not give any flavor. It gives you three different values in my opinion. Others will argue. The vinegar in the mustard will start breaking down the collagen in the ribs. It will give a better bark. It will also help the last coating of the rub to stick to the ribs. After applying the mustard. Coat with Dizzy Pig Original Rub. After prepping put back in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but no more than 2. If you haven’t lite you egg. Now is the time.​

THE COOK!​

Okay, the process just got a little complicated. I have cooked over a 100 slabs of baby backs, EVERY YEAR for over 15 years. I tell you this, so you don’t get discouraged if your first few attempts are not desired. Practice makes perfect. Put your wood of choice on the clean burning fire of the egg. Add 3-4 wood chunks. Try to stick with fruit woods. I used apple and cherry wood. They are going to start smoking right away. Put you plate setter on the fire ring, legs up. A large drip pan on the plate setter. You need to let the wood smoke for at least 30 minutes before putting the ribs on. I always use an inverted V-Rack. I think the heat off the plate setter and drip pan, cause a tough skin on the bone in side. Get your egg stabilized at 200-225. The first few hours are the most important. Your ribs need to be cold when placing on the egg. They tend to soak up the smoke better and have a better smoke ring. I like to mist the ribs. I like to use a 50/50 mixture of apple juice/apple cider vinegar after the first hour. I do this every hour until done. After 3 hours bump that temp up to 250. Opening up the egg for misting may accomplish this.​

Okay, we have had our ribs on for 3 hours. Time to get that temp up to 250. Mist one more time after an hour. Let go another 30 minutes. The ribs have been on 4 ½ hours. Pick a slab up. If it folds in half easily, it is time to finish. If not, put back on for another 30 minutes. Also, another way to check is that the meat should have pulled back approximately 1 ½ inches. Another way is to, go ahead and pull a slab off and cut. If the bone is white in color they are ready.​

This is where experience comes in. The texture you want will determine when to pull off. If you want fall off the bone. Let them go 5 ½ hours. Remember though. You might be taking a chance on them drying out.​

THE FINISH!​

There are all kinds of good bbq sauces out there. I think the secret to great sticky finger ribs is a good sauce. I always use a sugar based sauce. I make sure my bbq sauce is cold (been in the fridge) for a few hours or days. This makes the sugar thicken up. This will produce a full flavor of sauce on the ribs.​

Our ribs have been on between 4 ½ and 5 ½ hours. After pulling them, set them aside and get the egg up to 275. While the temp is climbing apply the desired amount of bbq sauce on the ribs evenly. Today we used Blues Hog. Many competitors use this. Pull the V-Rack off. You want your ribs laying flat when finishing. Place the ribs back on the egg bone side down. Leave on for 20-30 minutes. If your guests allow, pull off, let rest for 5-10 minutes, slice up and enjoy.​

CWMRibs02.jpg

Hey 93civ... welcome! The answer is: What do you want? How much time do you have?

Fatty's are great: period. They have the advantage of being anywhere from super simple to potentially quite involved, depending on what you want to do. They're also relatively fast cooking. They're small enough to allow you to make a couple at a time, so you can store some fatty goodness for the rest of the week, or you can invite some friends/family over to share.

If you're thinking about something to have for the games this weekend, could also try making some MOINKs, CLOINKs, or any other variations. Great finger food to have while watching the Ravens beat down on the Pats. :becky:

Or, if you're feeling particularly feisty, why not go for a brisket???

Doesn't matter what you decide to do, I bet you'll enjoy the results.

Good luck! And, post picks of whatever you decide to do!!!

Bruce

You have to throw in a fatty! And I don't mean one of those fancy stuffed and enrobed things. i mean a real fatty! Go buy a breakfast sausage log, unwrap it, toss it in the smoker and cook it until it hits at least 165 internal. Then slice and enjoy! You may as well make two since you'll want some the next morning for breakfast!

I'm on board with a Fatty. They're practically foolproof, and absolutely delicious.

Thanks!

What are moinks? Ill have to go look that up!

Thanks for the rib process...sounds fairly easy. I have how much ever time. Last weekend. I put on the butt at about 9:45 and babied it all night until about 8:30 or so the next morning when I felt it was done and the IT was right...and I couldnt have been happier.

Im looking for something that I can smoke that maybe wont take all day long or be a waste of fuel....so maybe it will be better for me to smoke multiple things at once? For those who do this....do you not feel that the meats are better when they come right off and are eaten instead of saving for later??

What are moinks? Ill have to go look that up!

There is a Google search near the bottom of the page. You'll find more than you really want to know about Moinks or MOINKS.

Basically, it's a bacon wrapped meat ball. Good stuff!

There is a Google search near the bottom of the page. You'll find more than you really want to know about Moinks or MOINKS.

Basically, it's a bacon wrapped meat ball. Good stuff!

Yep...I beat you to it...I had already found what it was..haha :clap2:

I am considering the smaller side of things this go round. I am liking the thought of some ABT...

Oh the choices!!!

Chicken is another option.... I love the way chicken turns out on the UDS.
I like to spatchcock them and throw in a few potatoes to smoke too.
Good luck with what ever you try and take pics if you get the chance. :-D

Chicken is another option.... I love the way chicken turns out on the UDS.
I like to spatchcock them and throw in a few potatoes to smoke too.
Good luck with what ever you try and take pics if you get the chance. :-D

Pics will def be a part of it....

...this is from this past weekend...my first butt shredded

33398458498821890821470.jpg

Back