Discussion Thread -> "Soups, Stews, & Chili!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Last edited:
HOLY FARK!!!!
The voting's going to be hard for this one :thumb:

The cook thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175103

My entry shot:
2013-11-11103534_zpsc9baef6e.png

****Please accept this as my entry to the "Soups, Stews, & Chili!" Throwdown****

A friend has a small chili cook-off every year. I think it's rigged since he wins 2 out of 3 years despite his chili last year tasting as my wife described as "like that Chef Boyardee crap".

Anyways, I used my same recipe as last year but instead of cubed and pan seared chuck and a pound of pork sausage, I used brisket and a fatty.

Here are the players...

3 green bell peppers
1 onion
1 can rotel
2 cans petite diced tomoatos
garlic
2 tsp oregano
1/2 cup chili powder
2-3 lbs of brisket
1 lb fatty
as much sriracha as you like (not pictured)

Fatty - nicely imprinted from vacuum sealing last weekend

Brisket - still a bit frozen after vacuum packing last weekend

Brisket thrown in the crock pot mixed with the chopped up peppers, onions, and fatty...

Everything mixed prior to heating...

After heating about 4 hours...from here it will sit in the fridge overnight to really let the flavors meld together and will reheat before the cook-off time...

Please use the above as my entry pic...

Nice work peeps! Looks dang good. I'd hit that. And for lunch tomorrow too.

Official entry

Already a lot of good entries. I didn't plan this cook to be an entry. But, why not enter it, since it does officially qualify -- I think.

Yesterday it was 70 degrees outside, but I knew that was going to drastically change. So, I fired up the OTG and grilled up a bunch of meat, so I could use it later in the forecasted very cold week ahead.

Some of that meat was German Sausage from Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville. Texas.

I diced that grilled sausage up and mixed it with black beans, Rotel tomatoes and chiles, some Tony Chachere's seasoning, and some herbs de Provence, and simmered it for about three hours.

picture.php

Since it was already a reasonably healthy meal, I served it with brown rice.

picture.php

CD

Last edited:
Dang. I actually made a pot of 15 bean "soup" with the twice smoked ham bone and a significant amount of twice smoked ham meat. TOTALLY forgot to take pics...

Dang. I actually made a pot of 15 bean "soup" with the twice smoked ham bone and a significant amount of twice smoked ham meat. TOTALLY forgot to take pics...
only 15 beans in the soup? Less than 1 per serving? :becky:

I know, right? And half of them were split peas too so it wasn't even 15 WHOLE beans. :tsk:
Good thing you didn't have this collection of goons counting them for you...might have taken weeks to count out 15 with all the starting over. :becky:

Back