Beef Back ribs, weber kettle and temps

ColdFyre

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey there... I have 2 racks (each split in half) on a Weber Kettle.
I put them on when the temp got to 200. It's pretty cold out here in So California (well, by our standards anyhow :) ) at 55 degrees and when I put the lid back on, the temp(grate level, near food) has taken 40 min to climb back up to 150. The top thermometer attached to the dome is 235... seems like a big discrepancy.

Just let it be? Any idea how to compensate if needed? I don't want the parts at the top of the kettle to be all burned and dry and the bottoms be so-so. As of now, I'm adjusting my vents to keep the top at about 250 or less and hoping that the bottom comes up too.

Any other words of advise?

What exactly do you mean by the top and bottom of the kettle? How did you arrange the charcoal and where in regards to that did you place the meat?

there are 2 thermometers going. The one that is built in to the top of the weber lid (well, it didn't come with one, I put it there.) and a probe thermometer I have at grate level.

The charcoal is arranged in the 'snake method' on the opposite side of the meat for indirect cooking. (thought the snake is pretty much gone now and I've already added a few coals and another lump of mesquite.

My guess is the therm probe is to close to the cold meat giving you a false reading.

ah... good call. Put it a bit more to the side away from the meat and after a few min it bumped up about 15 and climbing

On the kettle for 4.5 hours total. Standard Kingsford briquettes plus some hunks of mesquite. Came out looking and tasting damned good.

Overall I was pretty pleased with the result. Didn't use a bit of sauce (wasn't needed!) and didn't foil.

On the Weber:
Front one had a Santa Maria Style rub (Salt, Pepper, Onion/garlic powder)
2nd had Salt, Pepper, Onion/garlic powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, brown sugar and celery seed and the back 2 had Stubbs Beef Marinade. All were seasoned the night before. (I liked 'em all but the one with the cayenne was a lil too spicy for the wife and kids)
IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

Taster had a nice looking ring:
IMG_1767.JPG

I'd eat those for sure! Glad they turned out for ya. Beef ribs are among my favorites!

Very nice, beef spare ribs are the king of all ribs followed by beef short ribs then in the distant pork ribs.

Back