• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribeyes over Hickory Chunks and Charcoal (no pron)

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After reading a thread here earlier about someone using wood in their kettle, I decided to sorta give that a try tonight with some ribeyes. I took about 12 or 14 chunks of hickory and spread them out on my OTG charcoal grate and then dumped in about 3/4 of a lit chimney of kingsford blue. I left the cover off and let the Hickory chunks burn for 20 minutes or so. Then I covered it for another 10 minutes or so and let my cast iron grates get really hot and then tossed on my ribeyes...

The flavor was really nice. They had a nice Hickory flavor and aroma that was not overpowering at all...

I like that idea. I usually throw about 6-8 chunks of red oak or hickory on top of some lump when I grill steaks. I'll play around with dumping the lump on top of the chunks next time and see how I like it.
Oh, and by the way, go Georgia Tech! :-D

Don't need no pron. You had me at the thread title.

I am gonna have to try wood chunks only next time. Sounds promising.

I did the same thing tonight with some hamburgers and the GF said they were too smokey... mine was pretty good but since hers was on the grill twice as long as mine it might have taken on too much smoke...

Sounds good! I have tried oak for steaks before but not hickory. Perhaps, I'm missing out.

Sounds good. I've done it with whole red oak splits in the kettle. Burned them down to coals, then came the tri-tip.

Back