Ham Test Day for Me...

Solidkick

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Because I'm doing the turkey test on Saturday. Ham has been in since 9 am. Cooked for 3 hours and have wrapped in foil and still a cookin'. Temp is now at 132 with a target of 160. I threw in some thighs with the ham for something to nibble on. Here's a pic of them. No sauce as the oldest boy don't like it, so sauce on the side tonight. I'm gonna be awhile with the ham, so I may throw some wings in just for fun. I'll let you know how the ham comes out.

( It WAS an 8 pack of thighs, yes they are gooood! LOL)

I'm guessing that was a fully cooked ham since you're only going to 160?? The chicken will be excellent and who needs sauce other than on the side???

Looking good amigo!

DFLittle said:
I'm guessing that was a fully cooked ham since you're only going to 160?? The chicken will be excellent and who needs sauce other than on the side???

Looking good amigo!
Yes, it's fully cooked. I normally do a ham in the oven in a turkey bag and just pour a can of Coke a Cola. Today I was trying apple juice and water mixture in the water pan. Wonder if I'd get good results with putting Coke a Cola in the water pan? May have to try it!

Unfortunately the Coca Cola in the water pan won't do much except possibly make a really sticky mess in water pan. Flavorings in the pan do very little to the meat -- especially in the case of a cold smoked ham. However, adding onions, garlic, other herbs, etc. to the water pan do make the area around the smoker smell great. :D

Thighs were in about 3 hours just above the water pan. Rub was nothing special, Durkee's Grill Creations chicken and rib rub, Willinghams Wham rub, and a little Blues Hog rub all mixed together. I sprayed with apple juice twice through the cook.

Ham turned out really well. Total cook time was 7 hours with an internal temp of 165. Here's a pic of the ham.

Looks great! The ham you bought; was it raw or already smoked?
Oh yeah, and where is MO are you?

I meant where in Missouri are you

Back