chicken

W

woodfolks

So I know verry little about comp Chicken

do you cook it in a smoker or on a grill.

Skin on or off

Bonless thigh or with bone.

When you present it do you slice it in 6 pices
or serve 6 whole thighs

Thanks

We cook thighs skin-on/bone-in for KCBS comps. We use a WSM but kick temps up above 300.

You can do whatever you want as long as you have 6 pieces in the turn-in box.

Thighs, unfortunately (IMHO), seem to rule the day. That's because they stay
moist for a longer cook window than does a breast. Most go skin on, but that
is definitely *the trick*, because rubbery skin (we've all seen it, right?) will get
you slammed in points (been there, done that, no trophy to show for it). Skin
helps with moisture and presentation (IMHO), but no rubber. There are lots
of different techniques as to what to do where that's concerned. Some grill
skin down to crisp it, some run the heat up crisp it that way. Others go for
a bite-through soft skin. Lots of ways to go...

We do skin on / bone in also (as do the guys above). Used to use a Weber
silver for chicken, but now use the hottest portion of the Lang...

Thighs, unfortunately (IMHO), seem to rule the day. That's because they stay moist for a longer cook window than does a breast. Most go skin on, but that is definitely *the trick*, because rubbery skin (we've all seen it, right?) will get you slammed in points (been there, done that, no trophy to show for it). Skin helps with moisture and presentation (IMHO), but no rubber. There are lots of different techniques as to what to do where that's concerned. Some grill skin down to crisp it, some run the heat up crisp it that way. Others go for a bite-through soft skin. Lots of ways to go...

We do skin on / bone in also (as do the guys above). Used to use a Weber
silver for chicken, but now use the hottest portion of the Lang...
Yep, same here....

We always do bone-in thighs as I'm sure most teams do. To prep them, we like to pull back the skin on one side and flap it over so that it remains attached on the side, kind of like a blanket. Then I'll trim the meat to a uniform size so that it look similar to a loaf of bread and to the point that the skin can cover it fully. Trim the ragged edges of the skin so they are nice and neat. Make sure to allow for shrinkage of the skin :wink:, then fold the skin back over. At this point you might want to think about your seasoning.

Cooking them we usually start in one of our WSMs at about 225 for a couple hours, skin side down on foil or in a foil pan. You might want to grease the foil a bit first so the skin doesnt stick. This allows most of the fat to render from the skin. There will be a lot. Then we switch to our Weber kettle at about 300-350 for about 1/2 hour to crisp up the skin. I think we've gotten some really great results using that method, IMHO. Thighs are very forgiving and I have yet to cook a dry thigh. The meat and skin texture seems to be right where we want it to be. Skin is perfectly bite-through.

I will say here that we haven't tried this in comp yet. We'll see how it works out this year. But, in all honesty, I've never been a fan of chicken thighs, nor has my family, until I tried this method. But we are NOW :grin:! The great thing about all this is there are no rules. Just experiment and practice until you are pleased with the results and go for it. Good Luck!

a not so good example

here is chicken that I thought was good but the jusges hated it:roll:

Last edited:
Stupid judges....stupid chicken...

That happened with our ribs in Dover last year. We thought for sure they were going to at least place and we got 73rd out of 81. You just never know.

It can be a real crap shoot. Being of a judge persuasion myself, you're
subject to the 6 judges there are your table. Perhaps your entry was
a little too salty, or too hot (cayenne), or had another taste that didnt
tickle the fancy of the particular judges at your table. Many times that
very same entry, on another table, or at another comp will score
dramatically different. Also, your entry is subject to the entry right
before it. Meaning, if the entry before you was ghastly bad, the odds
are good that your entry will suffer ill effects; reference Jamie's
cayenne experiment in the last BBQ Pitmasters show. I've seen that
same type of thing happen many times (over time).

I always suggest: cook what you enjoy (as long as it's not toooo extreme).
I like spicy (and hot). Our Q is therefore spicy and a little cayenne hot,
but not heavily. It will still not be everyones cup-o-tea. That's just
the way it goes...

Last edited:
We do bone in with skin - I just cannot go to the chicken nugget yet.

I do it entirely in an old fashioned weber I do a hot side and a cold side for indirect.

Its gotta be the pictures. Chicken can't look like that can it?

If you want the general guidelines that pretty everyone uses for thighs, with one variation or another, just Google 'Jumpin Jim chicken thighs'. In my first comp I was 12th in chicken, the next comp (only my 2nd) I did a variation of the Jumpin Jim method and got my first call.

Divemaster, I think you should turn in whole chickens this year...skinless :)

this chicken thread got me so worked up to practice

This is how I spent my evening. NO TRIMMING! Just for flavor and color with the new Jacked Up rub and the new Jacked Up Process, damn that shizzle is good!:mrgreen: What do you think about the new color?

Last edited:
Jacked up/ OCPA now have a fec100 and a new chicken rub and recipe? Oh man.. could be a force to reckon with if you guys start cooking better chicken :p

looks freaking amazing!! would love to get a bite of that!!

Back