Brisket burgers?

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have a brisket I want to grind up with my new grinder. Question is how much of the fat should I trim off before cutting it up?

Is it the whole packer? If its the flat you'll have to add fat....I normally grind a packer with a few lbs of bacon and don't trim.

I trim up the outside fat on top of the point and the side really good but do not trim down into the point. This leaves all that fat between the point and flat for the fat. Works good for me.

Hey Norco....yes...brisket burgers! I try to guess for 20% fat/ Depends on how big/thick the fat cap is. I I cut the kernal out between the point and flat. Cut off the hard pieces that will not render. Most of the briskys I buy dont have a thick cap over the flat so I pretty much leave that on. The point however is usally pretty thick so Ill get it down to 1/4 inch or so. After you grind, you can tell buy the color roughly how much fat you have. You can always add more fat. After your first one, youll get a good feal for it. Mover over chuck...brisket burgers are in the house:mrgreen:

Is it the whole packer? If its the flat you'll have to add fat....I normally grind a packer with a few lbs of bacon and don't trim.
Wow! I've kinda wanted to grind up the whole packer untrimmed, but didn't want to swap a perfectly good brisket with a bunch of too fatty hamburger!:lol: I'll give it a try next time for sure.

I love the flavor of the brisket for hamburger though.:wink:

Grind up some short ribs and mix it with the brisket for a primo burger

Use all the fat from your brisket and if it looks fatty, grind a pound or 2 of Sirloin into it.

Never done it, so YMMV.

IF I was going to grind brisket, i would trim only the 'hard fat' and leave the rest, and let it come out however it comes out. I still think that would be plenty of fat with all the fat near point and flat.

I have the local market grind brisket for me.
I tell them to leave all the fat on the packers.
Fat ratio seems about right to maybe still a little lean somethimes.

But, Brisket Burgers Rock!!!!!!!!!!
It is the only ground beef allowed in our house by Mrs. KAPN :lol:

TIM

not to steal this thread, but i have a whole brisket in freezer and been thinking of grinding it into burger too. My question is, will re-freezing after ground and made into patties signifcantly degrade the meat??

I just recently ground up a whole packer without trimming the fat. As far as using as a replacement for ground beef, it is not very good at all. I have had far better luck with trimmed brisket.

I can only assume it is a difference in personal tastes? For browning in a pan, the resutling product was too fatty and chewy for my wife or kids to eat. They basically skipped dinner that night (tacos) because the meat was too gross for them.

Thinking the meat may be better if cooked in a liquid environment, I did a test with a big batch of chili. I put the raw ground packer brisket in with some beef broth and heated until the meat came apart. Then made into chili. The result was an extremely greasy chili and the meat broke down into such small particles the meat had no discernible chunks at all and resembled more of a sludge. i was able to salvage the chili by straining out the solids from the liquids, chilling the liquids and removing the hardened fat from the liquid, then recombining everything. I added pinto beans for texture as teh meat was too fine. It was more of a chili sauce really.

Again, in my humble opinion, if you wish to grind up brisket, trim it up. That is what I did previously for hamburgers and it worked great. Grinding up a whole packer makes for a fatty chewy product that isn't suited as a ground beef replacement (for me anyway).

I have heard some suggest grinding it twice, and have heard others say to trim the fat off. I an definitely leaning towards trimming the fat off for starters. For the hamburgers I have made in the past with trimmed brisket, I never had to grind twice for good meat, so I don't think that is the important thing.

I am only posting this so nobody else makes the same mistake I did.

If you make it into burgers and cook them very well, say 195 internal, then this stuff will probably be fine. I made some meatballs with the ground packer and cooked the chit out of them like burnt ends. They were really good. so it could just be my fault for trying to use it like ground beef. But I still think this warning should go out.

not to steal this thread, but i have a whole brisket in freezer and been thinking of grinding it into burger too. My question is, will re-freezing after ground and made into patties signifcantly degrade the meat??
Re-freezing meat is never a good idea. I would recommend grinding a fresh brisket and freezing the patties after grinding.

After you cut the brisket into chunks, put it into the freezer for about 15 minutes, it helps firm up the meat and the fat will grind better.

Was that tip for me? I ground everything up fine. My problem was with the cooking of it.:biggrin:

I have a brisket I want to grind up with my new grinder. Question is how much of the fat should I trim off before cutting it up?
getcha a sharpazz kinife,1/4 onion,1/8 ancho pepper,,1 pickle,1/3 head of lettuce,1/8 garlic clove,....1/4 onion & 2 maters & go to town.. or,,, just slice & dice everything in site.....:twisted: is it beef- no trim just grind- yer in cali

Last edited:
Back