wood chunk question

dano

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering where you guys get your comp wood chunks?
The place I usually buy from has recently has had to kiln the wood before shipping it out (federal laws) and I have noticed a little difference in the final product. Any ideas?

fruit wooda chunks and maine grilling woods..both online..both ship free..both have good product

Another vote for Fruita. Their peach wood is great.

How much could a wood chunk chunk if a wood chunk could chunk wood??

They are hibernating at this time. However, if a wood chunk could chunk wood they would chunk as much wood as they could. lol

Because of insect spread, EVERY wood product has (or should be) kiln dried! Now, if you're buying pecan wood from the guy down the street, I doubt it'll be kiln dried. Seasoned, meaning it's been cut for 6 months or more.

Because of insect spread, EVERY wood product has (or should be) kiln dried! Now, if you're buying pecan wood from the guy down the street, I doubt it'll be kiln dried. Seasoned, meaning it's been cut for 6 months or more.

I agree with should be...The company I use has just started doing it. Turns out getting permits and setting everything up is a bit costly and time consuming from what he said. Someone from the state (MO i believe) has to show up by appointment and sign each batch off.

I agree with should be...The company I use has just started doing it. Turns out getting permits and setting everything up is a bit costly and time consuming from what he said. Someone from the state (MO i believe) has to show up by appointment and sign each batch off.

Wierd Wood Factoid (not too far off topic) -- in Florida, wood sold there has to be fumigated with an insecticide not kiln dried!

Got some good stick wood from Vaughn Wood Products at the Royal, perfect size, box packed nicely. I'm also keen on Maine Grilling Wood, but I'm getting some pecan from the guy down the street tomorrow!

Wierd Wood Factoid (not too far off topic) -- in Florida, wood sold there has to be fumigated with an insecticide not kiln dried!

Got some good stick wood from Vaughn Wood Products at the Royal, perfect size, box packed nicely. I'm also keen on Maine Grilling Wood, but I'm getting some pecan from the guy down the street tomorrow!

Now that is weird!
Candy Sue--the next time you are in FL--I will deliver some really great pellets and you won't have to worry! 8)

TiM (a loyal customer)

Our cook gets some glorious fruit wood from a company online, but I don't recall who it is. It's super uniform in size and smells fantastic. He'll probably chime in here eventually.

As for the pecan and some of the cherry we use, I cut the tree, split the wood, and cut it into chunks with a chop saw. It's terrible, as most things that can't be done from the couch are. It seemed super cost effective until I had to buy a new blade for the chop saw...luckily Harbor Freight is close and cheap.

I'm a Fruita supporter as well. Super easy online ordering.

Back