Cold smoked cheese first attempt

Diesel Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well after seeing aawa's thread on this I figured I'd give it a try.
My wife and I both like smoked cheese. So I ordered the 6"x6" A-MAZE-N basket and some sawdust. Hickory and the Pitmaster's choice.
Which has Oak, Hickory and Cherry in it.

Here is the stuff ready to start.

And here it is in the warming box of the Lang.
there was TBS before I opened the door to put the cheese in, dang wind.
I have the damper from the cook chamber open at the bottom of the warming box and the two top vents open for air flow.

So now to wait and see how it comes out.................in a month or so :laugh:

I've 'properly' aged a smoked cheese for the first time and I've gotta say it's farking awesome. I gave it 4 weeks to mellow out and honestly I'm regretting not putting more smoke on it. It had 4 hours (conventional wisdom says this is about right) but I could easily have got away with 6 or 8 I think.

It's very satisfying experimenting, but the wait is a killer!

FYI my ageing process was wrapping the cheese up in greaseproof paper, tying it up with string and then leaving it loosely wrapped in a sandwich bag (the kind with the fold over top, rather than zip) so it did lose some moisture as it had chance to breathe

Thanks for the info, I'll be using the foodsaver and vac sealing it.
I'm betting the wait will just about kill me but......ya gotta do what ya gotta do

Thanks for the info, I'll be using the foodsaver and vac sealing it.
I'm betting the wait will just about kill me but......ya gotta do what ya gotta do

This is awesome. And the reason why I do big batches, is you only have to wait for the first batch! With a big batch, when you are running low you can throw more cheese on so it is ready by the time you use the aged batch.

Awaa, thanks man I'll do bigger batches to come. Wanted to try out the system and see how it worked.

Thanks Kieth I will do that. Do you let the butter age like the cheese?

No Dave, butter doesn't seem to need the mellowing that cheese does. I'm still cooking on butter from a couple of months ago and don't notice much difference. It just picks up a good camp fire flavor imo....great on toast

We love smoked cheese. But if I start trying to smoke butter I think my wife may have me commited!
:laugh:

When you butter her bread with it she'll pull you out of the funny farm! Throw some sticks in with your next batch and wrap it back up in the same wrapper. Use it all you recipes that call for butter...good stuff :thumb:

Just lay the butter on the rack?

Just went and put a stick on. Looks like I've got another 3 hrs of smoke time so why not :becky:

This is something i am going to have to try sooner than later. Although cheese is even worse than Q when it comes to trying to stay on my diet!

Back