I want a new cooker! Any opinions/advise?

Bogus Chezz Hawg

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am buying a new house next week, so why not a new cooker too?
I once had a horizontal, now I have a vertical (backwards Bandera).
I like the vertical better, but I have an open mind. Both were backyard cookers. I am wondering if the combo cookers (i.e. Klose BYC) eventually get hot enough in the vertical chamber (225F - 250F) or do they always stay cooler than the horizontal chamber? I am also considering a "small" mobile cooker so I can compete in the future (Lang's prices look good for going mobile). So far, manufacturers I'm considering are Lang's, Klose, & Gator Pit.
I need your recommendations, pros & cons, opinions, and advice. Thank you! :icon_cool

Hey Chez Hawg. I'd check out Klose. Not only great cookers but Dave put my picture on their website! But you already knew that.

you could build a bunch of UDS's at that price... LOL

I love my Lang 60 Moble, and I dont know a better smoker for the money.

Was around 3 loaded Langs with hams, shoulders, loins.... last weekend... and was amazed how much meat they held. Each held over 200 lbs. a piece... and that's just on the smaller one... a Lang 60.

Divemaster, Pigman, and BBQ Bubba are all pitmasters of those Langs. Definitely on my short list.

Thanks to those of you who have replied. I talked to Ben Lang on the phone for half an hour yesterday. The "reverse flow" technology in his pits makes some sense to me. I am leaning hard towards purchasing from him.:icon_cool

Ben is a great guy! I was on the fence until we stopped by while I was visiting my parents near Brunswick, GA. It was labor day four years ago, and we knew the shop would be closed. My dad and I were standing at the fence looking at the smokers from afar, when Ben drove up to grab a smoker for a party. He spent an hour with us, giving us a private tour of the facilities, and showing us his handy work. The 60 was perfect for us, and has been a wonderful smoker. Actually, after my neighbor drove by it for over a year, he bought one as well.

With that said, there are several wonderful manufactures out there. One day I will own a Klose pit, maybe a Spicewine, and some sort of Kamado. But I plan to pass the Lang down to my little boy!

What I mean by passing it down to my little boy, is that presently he is 5 years old, and will get the Lang when I pass!

I've got a modded ECB I could part with for, oh, $400 or so. You'll love it.

Go to the Ole Hickory Web site and look at their Ultra Que or the Legend if money is no issue.

Hey Jeff,

Did you order your smoker yet?

The question still stands...

When we talked over the weekend you said you were thinking of putting in the order with Ben yesterday... Did you pull the trigger???

As I've said in another thread, the next cooker I buy well be another Lang, and no, I'm not selling 'The Mistess'!!!!

My budget is 3 to 4 grand for a mobile.
With that kind of money you have many choices. For the money you can't beat a Lang, but for my money I like Stumps Smokers. They cook like a dream and you can mount on a trailer or have it in the yard. Works for me. Good luck with your choice.

Back