• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ugly Drum Motherload...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hi folks...I was just informed by my facilities manager (where I work) that we have several 55 gal steel drums with lids that are free for the taking. They contained a biodegradeable cutting fluid that is non-toxic...so my first thought was "UDS"...DUH!!!. So...I have never modded one before and would like some ideas from the "Brethren". Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank You!

ps...pics and plans would be great!

Thanks Ron...I'll check it out. There is a "brother" just up the road from where I live who has made 3 UDS's...I think I'll pick his brain over a cup of joe one day real soon.

JD

Only one??? I would have filled the back of that truck!!:twisted: :biggrin:

Hi folks...I was just informed by my facilities manager (where I work) that we have several 55 gal steel drums with lids that are free for the taking. They contained a biodegradeable cutting fluid that is non-toxic...so my first thought was "UDS"...DUH!!!. So...I have never modded one before and would like some ideas from the "Brethren". Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank You!

ps...pics and plans would be great!

I know it is a stick figure, but I drew this up On my 100K CAD program on my Cray super computer! It is a scale rendition of a plan BigMista spoke to me about at the SoCal bash, so all credit goes to the big fella! Shelves would pull out!

T-Smoker.jpg

Not that I want to kill a UDS before it gets started but please read the MSDS of TRIM 206 before you go too far. It may be fine after several fires, however I would try not to be near it while it during the first three of four times. I quote from page one of the MSDS " Fire may produce oxides of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur"

Just an over active safety manager.

Attachments

• 67360388-20070609.pdf
    62 KB · Views: 19
I know it is a stick figure, but I drew this up On my 100K CAD program on my Cray super computer! It is a scale rendition of a plan BigMista spoke to me about at the SoCal bash, so all credit goes to the big fella! Shelves would pull out!

T-Smoker.jpg

That would be wild. Just how big is Mista's balcony anyway? :mrgreen: I would think that your base drum (or pipe) should be smaller in diameter to minimize the size of the coped connection to the horozintal chamber. You would think an 18" diameter pipe would be fine. Also a stack on each end would equalize the flow. Wonder if the stacks should be extended down into the cooking chamber??

tsketch.jpg

Not that I want to kill a UDS before it gets started but please read the MSDS of TRIM 206 before you go too far. It may be fine after several fires, however I would try not to be near it while it during the first three of four times. I quote from page one of the MSDS " Fire may produce oxides of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur"

Thanks Troutman...I plan on pressure washing the inside and building a major league fire in it before putting in any food.

JD

<---------I can lead you in the right direction for something like that.

That's an interesting UDS Country...the bottom barrel would be large enough to use split wood or logs as fuel...old school baby! I'd be glad to see your ideas.

JD

That would be wild. Just how big is Mista's balcony anyway? :mrgreen: I would think that your base drum (or pipe) should be smaller in diameter to minimize the size of the coped connection to the horozintal chamber. You would think an 18" diameter pipe would be fine. Also a stack on each end would equalize the flow. Wonder if the stacks should be extended down into the cooking chamber??

tsketch.jpg

I get the concept...wouldn't it be a bit top heavy?:confused:
JD

I found this one when I first started looking at drum smokers. Pretty much exactly what Bently & thirdeye are talking about...

picture163small1dl.jpg

picture160small9rw.jpg

picture161small7cd.jpg

A lot more fab work involved than a basic UDS, but for someone with a welder who's getting free drums it would be a pretty fun project. I'm pretty happy with my UUDS™ so far. But I could see making a Hammer Head DS as a winter project just for the challenge of it.

Getting that cope right would be a proud moment...

T-Smoker.jpg
Been thinking of the same. I was thinking of getting a 55 gallon drum built like a basic drum smoker. Then take a 85 gallon drum and cut a hole and weld in a weber 22.5" lid. I would cut holes in lid to distribute heat. I would make 85 gallon drum lid hinge open and close with clamp. Next would be to build support frame. For the shelves I have been eyeing those bakers racks. The would slide in on channels. Might even fit a small pig like the one at bash. I would put 2 stacks with valves to balance heat with exhaust. First have to finish B.U.D.S.

The MSDS also states that the product is 100% soluble in water. So a good couple scrubbings will work.

Back