scoring definitions do you have an opinion?

Merl

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If you were going to attach definitions to the scores KCBS uses, what would you use. Some may remember others groups have used definitions which were associated with numbers. At one time KCBS had Bad, Average and Excellent.

Lets assume 2 remains Bad and 9 is Excellent. 6 is probably average but not necessarily. Then what would you suggest?

9 Excellent
6 average
2 Bad
1 disqualified.

When you judge, what is in your mind, what definition do you attach to each number?
Do you think definitions help you.

I clearly know what a 6 is and what a 9 is. I personally without a definition in my mind, have problems between 7's and 8's.

Your ideas are appreciated.
Yours in BBQ
Merl

3 Pretty bad
4 Eh
5 Below Average
7 Above average
8 Very Good

These are kind of my mind set when I judge.

I doubt I'd ever use a 3. If it is dog crap, I'd go 2. 5 is below average. 4 is bad. 8-9 are excellent/perfect, but I'd probably reserve 9's for something that truly leaves an impression with me maybe a unique and compelling flavor.

Actually, I do not understand why you give anyone points for getting disqualified. The whole scale should revamped to be as follows:

9 Excellent
5 Average
1 Inedible
0 disqualified

Sawdustguys thoughs were exactly mine.. a DQ is a DQ.. No points.

1 is inedible.. undercooked/raw/spoiled.
2 is just bad, like a peanut butter/celantro rub on overcooked ribs pureed and reattached to the bone. :eek:

4-5 Famous daves quality. :twisted:

6 - Average, or good commercial

7 - better than average, but no there yet..

8-9, What we expect from competition Q, satisfying all KCBS criteria. Not mushy, well balanced flavors.

9 - WOW Factor! Unique or outstanding. Complete Perfection.

BBQchef33 said:

2 is just bad, like a peanut butter/celantro rub on overcooked ribs pureed and reattached to the bone. :eek:

8-9, What we expect from competition Q, satisfying all KCBS criteria. Not mushy, well balanced flavors.

Sounds about right too me Phil

Maybe a 9 should be SaucedPigs Quality but that is my only change of you list.:biggrin:

1 - Talk to the table captain about why the DQ.
9 - I wish I could do as well, and I want more. Now.
8 - What I really expect a good entry to be, not average... Fits the definition of barbecue in my mind, plus extra something
7 - A good entry, just above average, but something missing to take it above that.
6 - Worth turning in, but nothing much more.
5 - Just missed it, but a good try
4 - Something is off, but it's edible
3 - It's bad, but I can swallow it
2 - I can't even choke this stuff down; I have to spit it out (and I've had one of those so far in my 1 comp judged)

BBQchef33 said:

9 = Mike Davis mod

I agree with Phil although I might say that 6 is commercial quality rather than average just because if we are competing that should be the minimum quality expected. Average is as compared to a group and we do not do that?

BBQchef33 said:

If a DQ was given a zero someone reading the scoresheet wouldnt know for sure if it was a DQ or the rep made a keying error and missed entering a score. A 1 means one and only one thing - you entered the category and you got DQ'd.

Back