Best of the West Mesquite charcoal, opinioins wanted.

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I see I can get this at Sam's . I checked out Naked Whiz and they gave it a poor review. I read the review and then at the bottom of the page they have user's poll. The people that used it rated it at 3.45 stars with 5 being the best. The way I read the review they had a smaller bag than the 20# bag available at Sam's. I was wondering if the size if the bag would make a difference in what you get out of it.

If it is crap please let me know. I don't have time to do a lot of testing.

Thanks.

I've used it and found it had a lot of fines. When it was in 40 lb bags it was still IMO a decent deal. When they dropped the bag size and the price not so much, I looked elsewhere. Each bag also had a piece or two of gravel in it.

They have the 20# bag for about $8.75. That is $.20/# cheaper than RO. I do have a 150# scale at work, I may have to weigh it and see if it pencils out.

I tried a small bag of it and it was crap. Small pieces, nothing I would buy again

But I have read some people like it.

So thats my take on it, for whatever its worth.

Over the years I've used many brands of lump including RO, B&B, Stubbs, Cowboy, several brands of mesquite, etc.,etc. and the only one that I was REALLY impressed by was "Wicked Good". The smallest pieces in the bag were about golf ball size while the biggest was similar to a split log while the majority of it was about tennis ball size. It burned really hot and left very little ash but the biggest difference that I noticed besides the size of the pieces was the density of the stuff and the length of the burn that it gave me. It actually reminded me of porcelain tile because of its hardness and weight and I was able to reuse some of it in my next cook whereas other brands would have all incinerated to dust! It's a little pricey but I think that "Wicked Good" is one of the real standouts in the world of lump charcoals.

Just opened a bag and was amazed....
null-17.jpg

The rest was medium sized stuff, all usable stuff, no fines.

I like it huge chunks in the bag...easy to break down if needed. I like it better than the stumps lump I bought at Costco and better price for more.

Yea they have the large bags at Smart and Final. I was amazed at the gigantic pieces that I would get. No complaints from me and it was about 14 bucks

Way too much Mesquite taste to it for me. Ruined a nice Pork Tenderloin using it this past weekend. Back to Royal Oak or even Cowboy..

Back