Pork Butt question

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with pork butts. Is there a difference in pork butt quality like there evidently is in brisket quality, or is it simply a question of finding one with the right amount of fat on it?

IBP is a good butt as is Prairie Farms. Personally, I look at the size of the money muscle, good clear color, and that the butt looks like it was cut square.

Lots of guys find a size (pound) they like and stay with that. 8-11 pounds is all good for me, but I can not lie... I like big butts ceteris paribus.

Someone with a lifetime of experience in the pork industry told me "pork is pork, don't worry about it". However I'm sure there are many folks who will swear by the heritage breeds. Personally I've never tried them, not to say I won't as it's a never ending search for the highest quality product that's affordable.

I think I will be trying out a butt and some chicken this Friday if you're in the area...

You do want the freshest pork you can find. White fat, the whiter the better, is a good indicator for that. But you probably already know this.

I'll be at my first comp of the season in Benton. I'll send Doug over to check on you:mmph:

Sure wish we got our turn in time for Benton this year... it was full when we called :doh::evil:

The things I look for in a butt:
1. 9# or larger
2. Well defined and large money muscle
3. Good, red/pink and dark-red color in the meat; clean, white color in the fat cap with about a 1/4 - 1/2" thickness on the fat cap (I trim, but the less I have to trim myself, the better).
4. Clean cut on the shoulder blade bone with no "Chips" or "Splinters" obviously present.
5. The thinnest shoulder blade bone I can find (couldn't tell you HOW thick or thin, it's one of those "I know it when I see it" kind of things).

Aside from that, for most comps I cook two butts. I'll slice the best money muscle and pull my chunks from "Mr. Brown" (the dark meat located in the curvature of the shoulder blade) from both.

Back