View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #102
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Wolfy, the JD (Jimmy Dean) and other brands of sausage they are talking about is seasoned raw meat as in picture 2 above, but packaged like picture 1.

http://jimmydean.com/products/Sausage/

I haven't seen this outside the US, and they get loads of flavours e.g. Breakfast Sausage, Hot Sausage, Italian Sausage, even the chorizo they talk about is raw meat chorizo style in a chubb - if you're more used to the spanish type you can just slice and eat.

Us non-Americans, achieve the same by either using pork mince (your picture 2) with BBQ rub and/or other seasonings mixed in to taste or by using sausage meat from the butcher/supermarket or taking the meat out of actual sausages of different flavours.

I was in the States earlier this year and I spent a lot of my time just scouring the supermarkets for all the ingredients our American Brethren take for granted. Although I did end up smoking my first 'naked fatty' (Jimmy Dean Maple with Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy rub), I was mostly just out to see what they look like and how to adapt ingredients available to myself.
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->