Brisket Size

A lot of folks like big briskets. For me, I can adjust my cooking time for size.. I'm more concerned with a nice consistent flat and marbling. No problem cooking anything between 10 and 20 lbs.

A lot of folks like big briskets. For me, I can adjust my cooking time for size.. I'm more concerned with a nice consistent flat and marbling. No problem cooking anything between 10 and 20 lbs.

Same here, but I do like to be in that 14-16 lb range, but the weight certainly is not that much of a factor in selection.

17-18 pounder, only if it's thick in the flat.. I've had large briskets with thinner flats, and big ol' honkin' points on them !

Do you guys pre trim your brisket for turn in sized slices? the best slices on all the briskets I do seem to be about 14" long on a big packer.

I prefer them 15-16 lbs, but they are very hard to find that size around here. I see a lot between 10-12.

My wife and I cook two 7 to 8 lb CAB choice brisket flats for contests. The brisket I took most of my slices from last weekend and thankfully earned my wife and I $600 for finishing first in the category, weighed 7.5 lbs and was extremely uniform in size. I am curious, why does everyone cook such large briskets?

I buy CAB’s when I can find them. I only know of one place around here that can actually get them. If not, I go with angus choice from Sam’s. I prefer the whole packer so I can get burnt ends. It’s not always the case, but sometimes the larger briskets have a thicker flat as well. Good briskets and decent ribs are scarce around here!

My wife and I cook two 7 to 8 lb CAB choice brisket flats for contests. The brisket I took most of my slices from last weekend and thankfully earned my wife and I $600 for finishing first in the category, weighed 7.5 lbs and was extremely uniform in size. I am curious, why does everyone cook such large briskets?

Was it a KCBS contest?

Because when you trim down a 16lb+ brisket you can create a very even thick flat. Smaller briskets you are kind of stuck with the thin tapered edges

Because when you trim down a 16lb+ brisket you can create a very even thick flat. Smaller briskets you are kind of stuck with the thin tapered edges

While I agree with what you're saying, Chris, it is also true that many times the larger (17+ lb.) briskets have a very thick fat cap, sometimes at much as 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick. I'm sure you've seen this a time or two yourself.

Larger briskets can be fantastic but not when the packing company is just loading it with extra fat.

Back