Sliced pork shoulder question

kihrer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For tomorrow's soiree with the relatives, I plan on doing a 10 pound rib roast and a 10 pound shoulder (Butt only). Since the dinner will be somewhat formal, i thought I would slice the pork shoulder versus pulling it. Since I have always pulled shoulder, I am not sure when I should take the shoulder off so that it will slice nicely without without falling too much apart yet still be nice and tender. What say the Brethren? Thanks in advance.

I've never tried it, but maybe 185? Hopefully someone who has tried it can give you better advice.

165 or so will be closer to "roast" texture. Just remember that should has a bunch of fat and connective tissue - even a "picnic" ham isn't as pretty as a real honest HAM. It'll be tasty, just not real pretty.

Here is a picture of the butt. My butcher trimmed it very nicely with only about an 1/8 inch of fat cap on the top. I just want to make sure I get it up high enough so that it isn't tough I'm not expecting pretty slices but something that will hold together while still being tender.

picture.php

You could slice it before cooking and do Pork Steaks if Boneless, if Bone in the Butcher may slice it up for you. Cut them about 3/4 of an inch thick. Other than that cook whole to 165º - 170º

^^^ 165 on the lower side, 185 highest... If there's a way to watch, pretty much as soon as it comes out of the stall.

^^^ 165 on the lower side, 185 highest... If there's a way to watch, pretty much as soon as it comes out of the stall.

Yes, I will be watching it. That makes since to pull it after it breaks the stall. I am thinking I will carve it similar to a turkey.

165 is fine but will not have rendered the fat.
185ish will give you tender, sliceable pork with almost jello like fat.
No foil, get some crust.

Outstanding! :thumb:

No foil, get some crust.

Thank you. I have it on now and will post the results.

I've never tried it, but maybe 185? Hopefully someone who has tried it can give you better advice.

No foil, get some crust.

Yep, What ^^ they said. 185 is a good number.

^^^ I'm going to pull at 185. No foil. Wil post pron later

Thanks for the advice Brethren.

Back