Chef's block (like writer's block) help!

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Apps for about 25 ppl.
I would prefer something I build, refrig on Friday and grill or smoke on Sat (I have access to 1 kettle and 1 UDS).
I zipped through the apps recipe section and nothing jumped out.

I will go the ABTs or Moinks route if all fails, but this group has already seen that and am hoping for different.
The rest of the meal is steamer clams, lobsters, corn and various salads. Doing a butt also for those that do not eat the tasty roach (lots of those in New England believe it or not)

Thanks in advance, the future and well being of the "Lawrence Family Christmas in July-delayed till August for unknown reasons- Celebration" is in your hands, I know you will come through.

Well.......since the rest is seafood.....

What about grilled basil/bacon shrimp: place basil leaf at back of peeled and deveined shrimp, wrap in bacon slice, skewer so shrimp is straightened and skewer holds bacon on. S&P, EVOO, grill direct. Lots of prep to do before, but grilling's quick.

or

Smoked salmon fillet, served with good crackers/bread? I've got a couple of killer recipes for smoking salmon fillets, only takes about 20 min to smoke, bt needs some time to salt-cure before hand.

or

Chicken wings is always great nibblers. Not seafood, but....? Marinade is about the only prep.

Just some ideas. Anything jump out at you?

How about:
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp as Wampus said
Stuffed shrooms
Sliced Fatty Canapé, along side the salmon
Pig Candy
Chicken/beef satay
Smoked nuts
babaganoush(sp?) or a roasted pepper spread

This has potato skins written all over it. Cook taters prior to Friday. Scoop them out on Friday and use small red potatoes in halves or large potatoes in wedges. You can put your cheese and toppings and layer in pans for storage. Pull them out and simply grill until cheese melts or until all toppings are warm. You could smoke your own bacon, use pig candy, pulled pork, or anything that strikes your fancy. Maybe serve up with some diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro (pico de gallo) and some sour cream. Yummy.

I would cook the potatoes jacketed with sea or fav salt on the skin. You could smoke them the day before or use the oven and then finish on grill. Green onions or chives would also help color them up. How 'bout some butter on the skins so they grill up a little better? Dang... gettting hungry over here.

I have done pork tenderloin sliced for apps ( but not for that many people ).

grills up quick and goes with a lot of different foods/drinks ( provide multiple dipping sauces...may favorite is a strong jerk sauce )

Bacon wrapped mushrooms. Par cook the bacon in the microwave for a little bit then wrap the shrooms and cook until the bacon is done. Glaze with sauce. The shrooms soak up the bacon flavor.

In my neck of the woods it would be Deep Fried Walleye Cheeks or Asian Shrimp Spring Rolls.

Dan

Many thanks

We're zero'ing in. I've been wanting to show off my newfound fresh made jerk paste. The wings idea tipped me off.
Hmmmmm...wings?

Hmmmmm...wings?

Wings are GOOOOOD.

My brother and I did wings like 4 ways for Mem day weekend this year on our kettles. You can get a KAZILLION recipes by "googling" grilled chicken wing recipes.

A few of our favorites:
Tequila Lime Wings
Asian teryaki wings
Spicy Garlic and Ginger wings
Raichlene's S&P wings

The only advice I can give is to buy the "whole" wings (the kind with drummies and wing attached). Use kitchen shears to clip the wing part off and discard (it's mostly skin and cartilege anyway). By keeping the wings attached, it cuts down on your "turning on the grill time" and makes for a nice size app. Then make the marinade and let the wings sit in marinade overnight. Grill indirect for 45 min-1 hr. Toss in more sauce (be careful NOT to use the chicken infected marinade) after you remove them to recoat if desired.

Mmmmmmmm.......wings.

When I want to do something different I take wonton wrappers put in a small muffin pan then stuff cream cheese,lobster and butter in them and bake at 350 for a few minutes. Maybe a few seasonings. Kick azz!

Or you could do your wings with the jerk seasoning and grill or smoke (careful on the smoke chix takes smoke strong if to much is used) then maybe the last ten minutes brush with real maple syrup. This way you get the sweet and the heat. Good luck let us know how you make out.

For a party recently I did goat cheese stuffed prawns wrapped in prosciutto and grilled direct/indirect until finished. They were okay, not great but not bad either. I doctored up the goat cheese a little and ended up throwing off the flavor. Lesson learned. But the idea works and there wasn't anything left after dinner. good luck!

Back