KCBS and Restaraunt Depot no more

Those of you who register as a business to get an RD license, are your purchases tax free, or only if you also register for a tax exempt status? If the former, the paranoid person in me says to be careful. If you are buying product for resale (i.e. no sales tax) and not actually reselling at least some of it, your state revenue department may not be happy with you.

I'd also think through things about how you register a business. For instance, in TN, the rules for trailers used for "business purposes" are different (i.e. more expensive) than those used for "personal purposes." That is a big part of why my old team was not a business: I didn't want to have to pay for a business title on it.

Just some things to consider...

dmp

This is right off of the RD website...

*Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization.

I just happen to have cards for a business and for a non-profit (high school football concessions).

Each year the RD asks for a copy of my current biz license but don't ask for the non-profit.

In my county the biz license costs $108 based on my paltry amount of revenue each year.

Your mileage may vary. :shocked:

You don't have to necessarily be registered as a business in your state to get an EIN:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp

Apply online, takes about 5 minutes to get a PDF you can use to open a bank account or whatever else you need. Most likely the girl at the service desk will take that and run with it--if not, come back another day I guess.

I sent an email to Steve Farrin (KCBS BoD member) asking if he can provice any clarification on the general KCBS/RD situation.

Those of you who register as a business to get an RD license, are your purchases tax free, or only if you also register for a tax exempt status? If the former, the paranoid person in me says to be careful. If you are buying product for resale (i.e. no sales tax) and not actually reselling at least some of it, your state revenue department may not be happy with you.

I'd also think through things about how you register a business. For instance, in TN, the rules for trailers used for "business purposes" are different (i.e. more expensive) than those used for "personal purposes." That is a big part of why my old team was not a business: I didn't want to have to pay for a business title on it.

Just some things to consider...

dmp

I pay taxes at RD.

When I set it up, I did not set it up as a reseller, and set it up instead as a private chef (end user) and asked that they tax me so there would not be any issues down the road.

I think we paid about $125.00 total for EIN, business license and stuff for Virginia.

Considering the options for brisket, pork butts, parsley, Cambro, Minor's products, well, there was no options.

Heck, I still have a 50 mile drive 1 way to the closet RD. But, it is worth it.

Out here in Northern VA area, there is no option for brisket except from our butcher and that is up to $3.79lb!!!

Trust me, it is worth it. But, I hate going there cause I am like a kid in a candy store once inside.

My wife says my eyes get glazed over once I enter. :mrgreen:

wallace

I think we paid about $125.00 total for EIN, business license and stuff for Virginia.

I looked into the NOVA license today. What address did you use for your license? I see if I use my home address I have to pay for an inspection. Any tips you can PM would be greatly appreciated.

I used my home address. The license is not for a resteraunt, but rather a license to do business.

wallace

RD told me that any business license can get you a membership. It doesn't have to be food service related. I think the memberships are just to keep the general public from crowding the place.

Also Churches and other not for profit groups can get tax free memberships.

This seriously saddens me. I was planning on getting the kcbs membership tomorrow and draining my bank account on saturday.

Question: my neighbor friends have a construction business and also a tanning business. Is it possible for them to get a memberships and they authorize me and I get a RD card?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This seriously saddens me. I was planning on getting the kcbs membership tomorrow and draining my bank account on saturday.

Question: my neighbor friends have a construction business and also a tanning business. Is it possible for them to get a memberships and they authorize me and I get a RD card?

Try it; what do you have to lose.

wallace

Just walk into a RD and play completely dumb and be nice. Say you shopped there before. Have a business card of your BBQ team handy....and I bet you get at least a day pass if not a full membership...

Yes, there is no limit to the number of cards RD gives to a membership. Cards are not tied to individuals so you don't need any authorization. Have them set up a cash/credit card account and pay sales tax and you're good to go.

Yes, there is no limit to the number of cards RD gives to a membership. Cards are not tied to individuals so you don't need any authorization. Have them set up a cash/credit card account and pay sales tax and you're good to go.

Hmmm so if can talk said neighbor in to going all they have to do is set up an account and chose to pay tax on all purchases? I'd hate to say......"hey neighbor, open a credit card so I can get brisket and tri-tip at a good price" lol

Hmmm so if can talk said neighbor in to going all they have to do is set up an account and chose to pay tax on all purchases? I'd hate to say......"hey neighbor, open a credit card so I can get brisket and tri-tip at a good price" lol

Well if the neighbors are going to get to eat some of said brisket.

Yes, it will have the persons name on it that opens the account but you can use it. I am an authorized user for a friends automotive shop's account. There are no accounts set up you pay when you purchase, at least I do.

I still use my KCBS RD card. The alarm goes off but the girl behind the counter presses a few buttons and I am good to go. I would think KCBS would realize that the RD account was a big draw for many members. Lets hope they get this worked out. My fallback would be my brother in law who is an electrician and has a RD account from his business. I do have an EIN number but NJ wants $100 for a business license.

RD revoking KCBS memberships right now is not surprising to me at all. Found out a couple of months ago that RD is opening a branch in Richmond probably 10 minutes away from me in December. Before it was about two hours away. :evil:

Was waiting till the Richmond branch opened to go my first time. Might have to try plan B. Parents own their own business. Not food related, but maybe I'll get lucky and it will work.

Well I wanted to set up my Q team as a Business anyways ...now to dig in an read up on it in the state of Texas.

I do know I did an LLC for my Photography. Wonder if that license will work.

RD revoking KCBS memberships right now is not surprising to me at all. Found out a couple of months ago that RD is opening a branch in Richmond probably 10 minutes away from me in December. Before it was about two hours away. :evil:

Was waiting till the Richmond branch opened to go my first time. Might have to try plan B. Parents own their own business. Not food related, but maybe I'll get lucky and it will work.

Their website says there is already one in richmond, thats the one I was planning on going to. I haven't called them yet though.

Back