• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Am I just not cut out for a stick burner?

rabeb25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, I have had my fair share of smokers(most in my sig). I have had two stickburners, and I just don't like the taste that comes off of them. I have tried different woods (oak, hickory, cherry), and I had tried different rubs, and different temps (all the way from 220 to 320, all via a stoker). I just can not get a flavor out of them that I like. I did a side by side this weekend with my cookshack, and EVERYONE chose the FEC ribs hands down, as did I, other ribs were way to smokey.

Any words of advice, before I put this new one on craigslist?

Thanks

Make sure your fire is small and hot, if your having to shut your intake draft to keep the temp from going too high your fire is too big. Other than that try wrapping your ribs somewhat through the cooking. If those don't work use the CookShack :thumb:

Since I've got both a stick burner and a Traeger I can say there's not a HUGE difference in smoke flavor (there is some), so I have to wonder if you've been seeing more white smoke then blue? But maybe the smoke is going to be too intense no matter what... :(

I think it's the fire. You shouldn't be able to see the smoke except for distortion through the fumes. I have had great BBQ with just a hint of smoke from stick burners. I have seen some guys cook with only clear smoke and some with the clear blue smoke. If you use foil and it is coming out with a goldish color, your fire burning isn't clean enough.

I'm guessing the lack of clean burning fire too, though stickburners can put out a more intense smoke flavor.

I'm not sure what Bates model you have, but I've thought those were decent quality pits...

The Midnight Smoker on the other hand appears to have a less than desirable design related to both air intake and exhaust. This is my opinion only based on the pics I've seen as I have never seen or cooked on one of these units.

Get the fire right. Oak and Hickory mix will give you a good taste . 225 is about right. 325 might as well but them in the oven. Hot coals small fire, Boshizzle summed it up right on the Smoke. Angry thick, heavy smoke dose not make good BBQ. Patience with your stick burner, it will talk to you ,if you listen

All of the Bates smokers that I've seen in action have been able to produce first rate BBQ. Fire management skill is of the utmost importance with a stick burner. With that comes properly split, seasoned, and stored wood splits for the fuel. A proper coal bed and a clean burning fire. Keep at it.

I love being a stick burner.

I bet if you clean up your fire you will see a difference.

There have been times where I have had a bitter flavor & know it was because I rushed things with a dirty fire.

Awwww.....MAN.....say it ain't so!!!!:roll:

I'm DEFINITELY no stick burner expert, but I absolutely LOVE mine.
I did a lot of askin around here and have to agree that everything those above me have said.

Smallest, hottest, cleanest fire possible.
It's all about the timing. For mine, at 225, that means 1 new PREHEATED log about every 20-25 minutes. Keep the white smoke down that way.

I LOVE MY STICKBURNER. It's my favorite by far.:thumb:

As Wampus said, preheating is huge. Made my life a lot better, that's for sure. All the other stuff that's been said about fire size, clean burning, etc. is also key - but - it's all about doing what works best for you - if you get good results one way and it works for you, then there ya go!

Everything everybody above said - sounds like your fire ain't right.

I agree with everyone. But you might not like smoked meat. Some people don't like it. To some, the sauce and rub is what they like. Me............give me smoke.... I'm a meat man..... and you can keep the sauce.

I do love a stick burner and most are a little more hands on through out a cook. Fire is the key and I take the time at the start to get it the way I wanted before I loaded the pit. People are usually very surprised of how little smoke it takes to put an awesome flavor in your meats.

If you ever see smoke boiling out of my cooker there is one of two things going on. It's empty and I'm starting the fire or I didn't clean it and I got a grease fire going on.:icon_blush:

So, I have had my fair share of smokers(most in my sig). I have had two stickburners, and I just don't like the taste that comes off of them. I have tried different woods (oak, hickory, cherry), and I had tried different rubs, and different temps (all the way from 220 to 320, all via a stoker). I just can not get a flavor out of them that I like. I did a side by side this weekend with my cookshack, and EVERYONE chose the FEC ribs hands down, as did I, other ribs were way to smokey.

Any words of advice, before I put this new one on craigslist?

Thanks

You need to find the happy medium. Hmm whats the number to Backwoods Smokers??!!!
A competitor is your answer.

Burn your first fire down to the coal. Get a good bed of hot coals going then add wood as needed., Then again some people just don't like the wood taste such as my wife.

If I believe right, He has owned numerous types of offsets. Time for a fire in a Insulated Cooker. Just like the FEC is insulated.

That's really interesting, I didn't know about the preheating of the logs.

I will say that cooking on a stick burner is a world different then cooking on a BWS and honestly I'm glad that I started with my BWS Party. Taught me a lot about smoke control among other things. This will be my first season cooking on my LANG.

Burn your first fire down to the coal. Get a good bed of hot coals going then add wood as needed., Then again some people just don't like the wood taste such as my wife.

This I can agree with , hot bed of coals then add your wood as needed. I also strongly agree that the wood you use carries a lot of weight when it comes to flavor. Nut bearing and fruit bearing trees are good choices but it's up to the individual to find a smoke that they like. Whether it be of one wood or a mix, be sure to take notes so when you find what you like you can duplicate it. Too much smoke from any wood is never going to be good to those who know better.

Two thoughts:

1) Are your exhaust vents wide open?
2) Are you keeping the ash cleaned out during the cook? This may not be a problem on your cooker, but it can stifle a fire and keep it from burning hot enough.

Lots of good advice (above). First, lay down a bed of charcoal and add a few chimneys full of lit charcoal. Allow this to bring the smoker up to temperature. Keep all vents wide open to start. While this is happening see if you can't warm the wood pieces/chunks. Having them hot/warm to start with really gets sweet blue quicker. As the cooker comes up to temp, begin closing vents slowly and allow the temps to settle. Put on a nice warm piece of wood (1 piece). Allow sweet blue to happen before you add meat on the smoker. Manage heat via. a mixture of warmed wood and charcoal (lit preferably).

Depending on your smoker, you may want to foil after a while. I foil BB ribs at 1.5 hrs, pork butts or shoulders at 4.5 hrs.

Or, I'll swap you a few slightly used crock pots (significantly less smoke from these) for your slightly used Bates. :)

Back