New CBJ

Boogan1

Reaction score
I took the CBJ class yesterday with Mike Lake at the American Royal. I had made a post last week asking what there was for a spectator to do at the Royal but then I got the call that my name came up on the waiting list for the cbj class so now I am going to be judging both saturday and sunday. I figured I may as well jump in and get my feet wet and what better way than at the American Royal. A little background on me, I have been cooking since I was age 13, when my mom went to college. I enjoy cooking and creating my own recipes. I really got interested in bbq a few years ago. I purchased a used NBBD and have modded it and mastered cooking on it. I built a UDS and love to cook on that thing!! I have been a member and lurked on here for a couple of years and I eventually want to venture into the competition world. From all my reading it seems the best way to do this and be competitive immediately is to become a judge first, so that's the route I am taking. Any advice that you seasoned judges can give a first timer judging the AR? I read another thread that said to bring a cooler to take home leftovers but was told yesterday that it was not advisable. Maybe they were saying dragging a big cooler on wheels wasn't advisable lol! In the class I was seated next to another brethren member Rich Ramos. Rich built his own cooker and has a business Kansas Katering. After the class we walked around and met some of the comeptitors, it was awesome to see how excited Rich got when we ran into Johnny Trigg, Tuffy Stone and Rod Gray. I was pretty stoked too! Those guys are all class acts and were more than happy to talk to us and take a picture. Anyway, any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats on becoming a CBJ.

Don't be too surprised if you DON'T get to judge the Invitational on Saturday, but I'm quite sure you will judge the Open on Sunday. They've had a waiting list for the Invitational for MONTHS.

As for the cooler, not advised as you need to concentrate on judging, NOT taking home leftovers!

Yes, I am NOT judging the invitational on Saturday but I am judging the open sides/desserts on saturday and open meats on sunday.

Show up at all judging times... They will probably use you

The lines to judge are long, arrive early, carry a small folding chair and be prepared to wait to be seated...

2012 had a shortage of judges for the open with 540 teams competing and 525 judges and table captains... many tables had double duty TCs... seating was handled wonderfully by the KCBS Reps and I applaud them

Enjoy the AR...

As for the cooler, not advised as you need to concentrate on judging, NOT taking home leftovers!

How hard does one need to concentrate in order to put food in a ziplock bag? :biggrin1:

There 564 teams in the open this year so I am sure they will need judges. I am volunteering there Sunday but for the last two years I was told to judge as they were so short.

I will be judging the invitational tomorrow. Good luck to all!

Don't be too surprised if you DON'T get to judge the Invitational on Saturday, but I'm quite sure you will judge the Open on Sunday. They've had a waiting list for the Invitational for MONTHS.

ALL judges finish scoring the entries and turn in their scorecards prior to any left overs being dealt with. 99% of judges are conscientious about judging and take it VERY seriously.

Just want to add that I judged the open sides on saturday and open meats on sunday. What a way to be initiated into judging!! The presentation on those desserts was just awesome!! I had a great time, met a lot of nice people and the other judges were very helpful and informative to talk to. I am planning on judging a whole lot more!! Thanks everyone!

Back