Ramps Anyone?

GrassRun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Accompanied by kielbasa and taters. Usually a spring/summer treat. I was able to source some early. Just enough ramp goodness to provide another reason why winter needs to be over with already!

Attachments

• 534AE251-DC89-48ED-AD6D-06C5159F6B48.jpg
    534AE251-DC89-48ED-AD6D-06C5159F6B48.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 349
Not sure what that is, looks tasty.
Looks a bit like our Dutch sausage,potatoe and cabbage cook

Thanks Twitch. Think garlic and onion combined and you get a ramp.

Way nice! Br're Kazion introduced me to ramps, WV himself.

Thanks bluetang. Hey Titch I noticed that “Twitch” appeared in my reply to you instead of “Titch” and I apologize. No offense intended. Autocorrect has become my worst enema.

We used to take wild ramps and roll them in newspapers with Olive Oil and Salt and then roast them in a fire embers as it was dying. They would steam and become magical.

I saw what you did there Grassrun! Lol.....West by God Virginia! Love Ramps...Love the smell of wild ones in the spring while turkey hunting.

Ed

Thanks bluetang. Hey Titch I noticed that “Twitch” appeared in my reply to you instead of “Titch” and I apologize. No offense intended. Autocorrect has become my worst enema.

Take more than that to offend me old mate.:biggrin1:
Couple here do that on Poirpoise

Love it... and I'd be proud to hit some of that grub hard.

Could use a few more ramps out here in East-Bumblefark, NM (especially for a kid from North Kakalaky).

Looks and sounds delicious!!
I don't have ramps here but look forward to the wild onions when they pop up in the spring. :-D

Ramps, morels and fried dandelions are a staple in the spring around here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ha! I instantly knew this was a WV post. Ramps are awesome... they will blow your head off though.

Yeah, sometimes they can be tooooo good. I’ve heard that over-indulgence can lead to sweat that smells like ramps the next day. Never experienced it, but that can’t be good.

Yes, I am definitely ready for ramp season, too. My supply of ramp burgers in the freezer is just about out.

Ramp burgers you say? Very nice. Care to share your recipe? As you may know, easy to “over-ramp” stuff. I’d rather not waste burger that even the dogs won’t go near!

Ramp burgers you say? Very nice. Care to share your recipe? As you may know, easy to “over-ramp” stuff. I’d rather not waste burger that even the dogs won’t go near!

Actually, it's pretty difficult to "over-ramp" burgers. The ramps get much milder when the burger is cooked. But I always use prime spring ramps when the greens are between half way and fully developed, but haven't started to turn yellow yet. Ramps get stronger after the tops die back.

There's no real recipe; just mix a whole bunch of chopped ramps with 80/20 ground beef (or ground pork, or Italian sausage, or ground turkey...). I chop both bulbs and greens into the mix, although some people only use bulbs. You should get the visual impression that it is about a 50/50 mix by volume. Of course it isn't really 50% ramps, it just looks like it. Form into patties, pressing just enough so that they will stay together on the grill. Season with salt and pepper right before putting them on the grill. Watch them closely while grilling. The ramps have a lot of sugar in them, which helps form a great crust on the burgers, but the crust can burn if you aren't careful.

You can top them any way you want. Standard burger toppings are great, as are mushrooms and blue cheese. Be creative.

As I said, I've never had a problem with them coming out too strong. Usually I have the opposite problem - I think I put enough ramps in, but then the burgers end up not having enough flavor.

Them ramps will kind of stick you. They would send kids back home from school if they ate ramps before coming in back in the western NC mountains years back.

Back