bbq sauce for diabetic

pal251

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Do any of you have a good bbq sauce for a diabetic? Something with low sugar. Planning on making my first pork butt this weekend I hope and want to give my father in law a lot of pulled pork with some homemade sauce but he is a diabetic and I want to get a sauce low in sugar.

For a second question which may be the same answer as my first...what is a good home made sauce that has a good tang to it , that you get off of of the vinegar perhaps.

Scott's, you seek Scott's. It's delicious with no sugar or fat.

picture.php

If you want to make your own, try this. It's delicious! This is an Old VA style Barbecue Sauce recipe.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup hot sauce (I like Texas Pete)
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 hours before serving for best results.

Man, I am so curious, I'd love to try that!

I have been sopping up Scott's on bread the last few days and eating it by itself. I love me some vinegar sauce. Yesterday, was looking for a little sweeter taste so added a little brown sugar to it.. Yummy.. +1 for Scott's!! I really like George's also, but it may have some sugar in it.. Mostly Vinegar based though.

Instead of brown sugar use one of the sugar free pancake syrups.

My Dad is a Diabetic & loves the Q I make this sauce for him

2 T butter
1 clove garlic or 1 t garlic powder
1/4 c. finely chopped onion or 1 T dried minced onion
1 T lemon juice
1 c. tomato sauce
1/3 c. Splenda
1 T molasses
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T chili powder
1 T vinegar
1 t coarse ground black pepper
1/4 t salt

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 -10 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat and let stand. I usually double the batch and keep some in a pint canning jar with lid in the fridge - it will keep for a couple of months if you can sty out of the jar.

This is some awesome stuff too, and probably available in your area as it's made in Missouri.

0007557800028_500X500.jpg

Can't he compensate and adjust his insulin level? Or is he a type 2?

I'm a type 1 diabetic, and don't really worry about sugar content in sauce. Unless you're drenching your BBQ in sauce, I doubt the sugar content will make that big of a difference unless it's a super sweet sauce.

Otherwise, try one of the sauces listed above.

I have had Scott's and it is good, I need to try Wicker's but I live in Mo and have not seen it around here.

I am diabetic and think the sugar is not as big a problem as you may think, its the carbs and starches that will get you in trouble. If you want to make sure though try making a rub with no sugar and a sauce with no sugar, just substitute the sugar with Steiva. Other non sweeteners don't hold up as well with heat. If he has been diabetic for awhile, I would just give him the sauce and tell him it is sweet, then he can decide how much to use.
Dave

I make a low sugar sauce with mustard, fresh tomato puree (I do this because fresh tomatoes are much lower sugar), garlic, red wine vinegar, onion powder, black pepper, worcestershire sauch and my favorite hot sauce. Honestly, I don't know the amounts of each as I add to taste. I cook it down for a short time before serving.

I messed around with sugar subs in sauces and rubs. The Stevia products, such as Truvia really worked great. The ones blended with Dextrose offer a very low insulin response, and a balanced sweetness, It is a more subtle sweet though. Not like Splenda, in that regard. But, it is quite good.

Back