Anyone dealt w/Cabela's returns/warranty service?

Blue Kettle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with Cabela's before? From what I understand they have a lifetime guarantee as to manufacturing defects (not ordinary wear and tear) for all their branded merchandise. They are currently selling a pellet grill that is the same grill as the Camp Chef Smokepro DLX (though they've added a window to the lid because ... reasons) which looks like a pretty good deal. I just wasn't sure if they really stood behind their stuff like they say or how they were to deal with.

Their life time warranty isn't worth the paper it is printed on. They change those policies when ever they want. Had that happen many times over the years there.
I don't buy much of anything there anymore.
They used to be great back 15-20 yrs ago.

No experience with their warranty treatment but when I think about a pellet grill I’m not sure how much value that type of warranty would be. Obviously there is a small chance that welds could fail at some point etc, but I would think that most of what goes wrong would be categorized as wear and tear. Beyond some initial period, any of the moving parts, the controller and even paint wouldn’t be a manufacturing defect.

No experience with their warranty treatment but when I think about a pellet grill I’m not sure how much value that type of warranty would be. Obviously there is a small chance that welds could fail at some point etc, but I would think that most of what goes wrong would be categorized as wear and tear. Beyond some initial period, any of the moving parts, the controller and even paint wouldn’t be a manufacturing defect.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. If the auger goes out in year three after I've used it multiple times a week that seems like something they'd probably just tell me to get lost over.

Which is not to say it might not still be a good buy. It's just a bummer they're trying to tell people about this warranty that probably isn't worth much more than camp chef's typical factory warranty.

Last edited:
Bass Pro bought Cabelas last year so how is BPS with their warranties?

Cabelas customer service IME has been exceptional. Ive had many dealings with them over the years..Heck, myy brother dropped is 10+year old discontinued Cabelas brand spotting scope and broke it in half. They gave him store credit without hesitation.

Bass Pro bought Cabelas last year so how is BPS with their warranties?
One example of Bass Pro warranty. 10-$90 their brand fishing rods. Lifetime warranty when purchased. 6 yrs later after 4 broke (they found that whole line of rods had breaking problems) $10 off another rod. No replacements.

Got their large outfitter series dome tent years ago, and had it for 3 years. One spring it started leaking, I called them, and they said send it in and we’ll check it. A week later they called and said , yep it really leaks, and sent me a new tent, and apologized for the inconvenience.

Cabela's customer service used to be legendary. Now it sucks. Took a pair of "lifetime" guarantee boots back due to separation of leather upper from the rubber bottom. These boots were Cabela's brand boots. They were my 1600 insulated deer stand boots, so not worn very often. They actually had "Cabela's" branded into the leather.

They told me to go pound sand. No refund, no replacement, no nothing.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. If the auger goes out in year three after I've used it multiple times a week that seems like something they'd probably just tell me to get lost over.

Which is not to say it might not still be a good buy. It's just a bummer they're trying to tell people about this warranty that probably isn't worth much more than camp chef's typical factory warranty.

Agree. Might be a god deal but wouldn’t make a “defect” warranty the deciding factor.

Shameless plug, I have been really happy with Rectec’s handling of the 6 year warranty their unit came with.

I thought they were going out of business, didn't realize Bass Pro had bought them and was keeping the doors open.

Last month I returned a 10 year old 15" vacuum sealer that was not sealing very well any more. After some initial resistance and an offer of a $200 dollar discount on a new one I pointed out the Cabelas lifetime warranty sticker on the counter.

She made a quick call to a manager and I was walking out with a new top of the line $400 sealer.

Last month I returned a 3 year old 15" vacuum sealer. Told me to go get one off the shelf. No questions asked.

let me preface with this.......

for many (most likely 99%) of you that say bad things about cabelas return policy:

1. I will bet that you went in there acting like a JACKASS and started DEMANDING stuff like you were entitled to something!

2. I will bet that you went in there with absolutely no receipt!

3. I will bet that you went in there and started treating the customer service representative as if it was their fault for whatever happened!

As for me, I have never had an issue with anything I returned to cabelas, but then again I keep my receipts and don't go in there acting like a JACKASS or looking to treat people like crap!

***and no I do not work for cabelas or in any sort of customer service capacity for anybody or company.***

People were going to Goodwill buying clothes with Cabelas tags in them and taking them to Cabelas for cash.
Hunters were going to Cabelas and buying all there elk hunting supples. Going elk hunting, then on their way home stopping and returning everything for a full refund.
Just a few things that happen. NO I do not work for them, my nephew did. Just a few of the horror stories.
Keep a receipt, be nice and do not try to screw them and they will treat you fairly. They walk a fine line between standing behind their product and being taken advantage of.

Back