400 pork sandwiches

CooterQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I wanted to see if y'all could get me in the ballpark. I'm cooking for a customer that has ordered 400 sandwiches. I'm looking to cook off 100lbs of finished product. Would 140lbs of raw boston butt be about right to yield my target number? Thanks.

even injected , butts will yeild about 1/2 of raw, sauced pulled I get a 5 pounds in a 1/2 tin from a 9 pound butt.. so thats my formula,,so if I need 100 pounds of cooked, I would cook 180,

I get a bit higher than 60 it seems, though I don't measure it so closely most of the time. I do cook my butts in a foil pan, which may help retain some weight with the drippings...

I usually pour the drippings out into something else (another pan?), pull/chop/whatever i'm going to do, then re-introduce 1/3-1/2 of the liquid back in, and toss the pork in it. It's loose - i eyeball it how much I pour back in, never measure. It's done when it's done kinda deal.

Still though, I'd wager that a 8lb butt yields every bit of 6 lbs cooked, so that's around 75%.

So i'd be looking at 130-140lbs raw by my watch. Either way - just make more than you think you'll need. If it's one less thing to worry about, your cook will go much smoother without you worrying if it's enough.

180-200lbs of raw butts is what you need because 50% loss is my rule of thumb. I know many will chime in and say they get 6-% or 65% yield and yes so do I sometimes. My yield averages 55-60% but sometimes you get a case of butts or scenario that will less. At 180lbs with a 60% yield you will have 108lbs of pork allowing you to make 432 1/4lb sandwiches if you get a 50% yield off of that you will have 90lbs of meat and have enough for 360 1/4 sandwiches and an angry customer who has 40 people with no BBQ.

Still though, I'd wager that a 8lb butt yields every bit of 6 lbs cooked, so that's around 75%.

Can I have the name of your pork supplier? I am loooosing lots of money...if you get 75 pounds out of 100 pounds raw awesome, as the hawgs up here just cant compare

I'd find it hard to get a 75% yield even cooking boneless and with the fat cap removed. 20 years of cooking experience says 55% yield max. Remember, after you've made the 400 units any leftover can be enjoyed by your family or frozen for later.

Maybe so if you are cooking it to safe eating temperatures and going balistic on it with a big a$$ cleaver but if you cook it to 190* plus where it will pull you won't see that kind of yield. Weigh it sometime before and after and you will be surprised.

Maybe so if you are cooking it to safe eating temperatures and going balistic on it with a big a$$ cleaver but if you cook it to 190* plus where it will pull you won't see that kind of yield. Weigh it sometime before and after and you will be surprised.
that was a quote from previuos post, not me as the the hawg meat I cook gets me about 55%, and thats been injected, I need the name on where to get the 75% producing hawgs!!!

Back