First Whole Hog - Success (lots of PRON)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I live in a great neighborhood with people who just like to help people and have fun doing it. Here is a link to our build pics. We still have more to go, including a counterweight to the door, tying in the fridge for smoking and sandblasting and painting. We know she can cook though!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165300

First off, Congrats!!:clap2::clap2:

Second, Thanks for the props but I really didn't do chit just being a supporting Bro... gtr on the other hand has the pork to back it up!:thumb:

The cabbage was brilliant and can only imagine what the roll-ups were like. I will definitely be stealing that when we finally do a hog.

Overall, how did your new rig perform? Anything you would do differently?

Great job and as my sig says about good friends and food.....

All in all take a bow!:clap:

First off, Congrats!!:clap2::clap2:

Second, Thanks for the props but I really didn't do chit just being a supporting Bro... gtr on the other hand has the pork to back it up!:thumb:

The cabbage was brilliant and can only imagine what the roll-ups were like. I will definitely be stealing that when we finally do a hog.

Overall, how did your new rig perform? Anything you would do differently?

Great job and as my sig says about good friends and food.....

All in all take a bow!:clap:

Thanks man. It's weird now that I have gotten some sleep and look back on this past weekend. I think a brisket or ribs are more of a pain than the whole hog. Get a good rub, some friends, stable pit temps and patience and you can make a great meal. I spent less time fussing over it than a lot of cooks and it was great. I was worried about this cook for a few weeks and in the end it turned out great.

The pit cooked really well. I have a hot spot down the middle due to my design and I am working on ideas to remedy that. Also, with no insulation on the firebox, it went through wood quicker than I thought it would. The top of it was over 700 degrees when I infrareded it at 5 am. It felt nice to warm myself by though since it was cold out. I may insulate it once I get some more money.

All in all it was a great cook and I highly recommend each of you diving in and doing one. Control your temps and life will be good. I just talked to my neighbor and they ordered the next pig it is a 120lb'er. That is 30lbs heavier than this last one and it needs to be done 5 hours later than the one I just did. I love the variables and changes with each new cook. It is what make BBQ so fun. Smoke on my friends and thanks again.

Back