• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

ABT's - What say yee Brethren? How do you make the lowly picante carrying jalapeño pepper sing?

ABT Prep Preferences - you may select more than one choice

• Give me the Whole Pepper - Less the top and seeds

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Boat Style - Row Boat Mod - Lose the stem and seeds

Votes: 45 60.8%
  • Hold the Cheese - Cheese is just so Cheesy Mod

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Hold the Bacon - Alternate Blanket Mod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hold the Pepper - ABT Fraud Mod

• Whats an ABT - Still Looking for Wood Mod

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I go the halved jap route myself. I mix some rub into cream chhese and stuff into the half. I wrap with a half slice of bacon then coat the top half with brown sugar. Smoke em at 250* for a couple of hours and eat them up!

What CaptGrumpy said,,,and put a piece of aluminum foil under the rack to keep the pepper ends from getting too toasty.

I just started making some last week - I use a grill basket from Walmart and it worked OK for $4.00. The first time I made them, I fire roasted some red bell peppers and roasted a garlic bulb. I then pureed them and mixed with the cream cheese. It was a little too runny - I should have used less bell pepper for th amount I was doing - but darn fine eating no matter what!

Boat Method for me also. Filled with cream cheese, sprinkled with rib rub,
and 1 whole slice of bacon per pepper half. Wrap 'em tight to keep cheese in.:biggrin:
attachment.php

Whole pepper less seeds and top.
Stuffed with chopped string cheese and dried cherries, maybe onion and garlic.
Wrapped with 1 1/2 slices of bacon.
Cooked until the bacon is really done, crisp. It takes some of the hurt out of the pepper, and they just taste more fruity, like afreemanIII said.

I wait because the hand selected jalapeños I get are over 1 in wide before I wrap them and these racks seem too small for my heavy handed picking style.

I may have to make racks or have them made with 1 3/4 holes - from some cold rolled sheet stock - stainless if I can afford - but something and soon

If I can get Ancho's thats just the kick the Doctor ordered!

I'm the "boat" kind of ABT'r. I get kinda methodical about them, I'll slice them so the stem is still intact and the boat is deep for filling and use the other slice as a lid, paste both so it holds together. Have a small bamboo spreader for the cream cheese and a melon baller for seeding. Slice, seed, fill, then bacon wrap.

I Have a small bamboo spreader for the cream cheese

I'd like to see that

Home grown baby poblano boats stuffed with a mix of shredded cheddar & sausage.

Mark, I'd love to see those and the Plant too very popular chili for sure.
The can be stored for months in an air tight container.

Do you ever dry them into ancho's ?

If I can get Ancho's thats just the kick the Doctor ordered!

Swampb you might consider growing some poblano and drying them

Someones obsessed with ABT's lately. :biggrin:

Just because I'm sitting here munching on the last of the ABTs from this weekend, reading the post on ABT's , doesn't mean I'm obsessed - does it?

so far I have dried cherries, poblano and anchos on my shopping list

and the things you farkers have done to these poor defenseless peppers is tasty - got to try the brown sugar dusting - sounds right up my alley maybe with those cherries added too

OK I may have to try the pepper boats too

N8man - how do you get them wrapped so nice and tight?

Rick - the pron is perfect as always and the red yellow orange mix does look tasty

Dr_Ky - with all that scoville power in the jars from your lab, one might wonder what sort of mad Dr we have in you.

I usually make the boat kind, but occasionally make them whole. It depends on what kind of meat I use. I start with whipped cream cheese and add chives, green onion, salsa and a lil beef smokey. I use Caloro peppers which are yellow and wider than Jalapenos. They have a little bit of a kick, but they wouldn't be good if they didn't. If wrapped tight enough with bacon around the end, the cheese doesn't leak out. I cook them on the Primo Kamado for about 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees. I will be making 200 of them for the fourth of July and they will be cooked on Denali.

abts.jpg

OK I may have to try the pepper boats too

N8man - how do you get them wrapped so nice and tight?
I use thin sliced bacon which tends to stick to itself quite well.
Form a small pocket on one end of bacon strip by pinching and overlapping bacon on the end, think of forming a cone, and slide pointy end of pepper into it, then wrap and stretch, overlapping the bacon as
it encircles pepper and keeping it taut. Once it's at the end of the pepper, fold across to seal cheese in and continue to wrap back down the pepper until bacon ends.
The written word doesn't do the technique justice I realize. But once you do a couple hundred it gets easier.

Boat method for me with top. I guess that would be a submarine. Last time though. I put all the slices together and then realized I could not match the tops with the bottoms. Oh Well, That is what a toothpick is for.:mrgreen:

Last time I made them with red Jalepenos.

Stagecoachredjaps003.jpg

a couple of weekends ago, i experimented by putting the abt filling in a baby portabella mushroom and putting a few jalapeno slices over the top of the filling. pretty dang good again!

abtsmushrooms-005.jpg

Man those all look good. Hard to go wrong with Peppers, Cheese, Bacon and Sausage.

Since these have a pepper in them are they considered a Vegtable? LOL

I use the boat method too, and usually the little smoky and bacon wrap.

I while back I was feeling a little creative. I finely diced a fatty from the last smoke and puree some canned peach slices. Both the fatty and the peach puree were mixed in with the cream cheese along with a little cinnamon to accent the peach flavor. They were pretty tasty. Although the next time I try I might use apricots since their flavor is more assertive than peaches.

I like mine halved, and stuffed with cream cheese w/ a little bit of my sweeter rub, and a small cube of sharp cheddar inside. Put the 2 halves together, wrap in one slice of thin bacon.
Instead of using a tooth pic to hold it together, I use bamboo Skewers. I put about 6 on each skewer, and then put a skewer through the end ABT's (perpendicular), holding bout 3 rows together.

This makes it's own stand, holding the ABT's upright so that none of the cheese leaks out.

OK I need visual aids for these ! please post them if you got them

Also how to warm up / reheat any ABT's that may have survived the first round of eats (besides tossing back on a smoker ) you know midnight snack mod nuking them one minute on high seems to be less than optimum

Instead of using a tooth pic to hold it together, I use bamboo Skewers. I put about 6 on each skewer, and then put a skewer through the end ABT's (perpendicular), holding bout 3 rows together.

This makes it's own stand, holding the ABT's upright so that none of the cheese leaks out.

I use thin sliced bacon which tends to stick to itself quite well.
Form a small pocket on one end of bacon strip by pinching and overlapping bacon on the end, think of forming a cone, and slide pointy end of pepper into it, then wrap and stretch, overlapping the bacon as
it encircles pepper and keeping it taut. Once it's at the end of the pepper, fold across to seal cheese in and continue to wrap back down the pepper until bacon ends.
The written word doesn't do the technique justice I realize. But once you do a couple hundred it gets easier.

Back