KC Tamale Making Party?

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just finished my Christmas tamales from the freezer tonight. I learned that making them hot means that I get to eat them all. :biggrin:

This was my first ever attempt and I loved them so much that I'm going to plan another batch soon and get the freezer full of tamales again. Was wondering if anyone else was interested in doing the same. 4, 6, or 8 hands are better than 2.

Now that the Chiefs are out of the playoffs, might as well drink some cervezas & make some good food.

I would sure like to Plowboy. It will kinda depend on when it goes and how things progress here. Probably be hard for me to make this one, but I'll see what happens.

O.K., now you got my interest! How hot is "hot"? Lemme see here, I've got a step-daughter & son-in-law in Hamilton, Mo. (near Cameron), I like BBQ almost as much as I love good Tex-Mex cookin' & I got some vacation time comin' that has to be used before mid-February. This could be an interesting thread!
Dave

Depending on the dates you end up with, you can count me in. Kim and I are both game. Never made tamales from scratch, so sounds like a good plan to me!

How about Saturday, February 10?

I could fly in, but that might make them some expensive tamales. SW is about $50+taxes each way to KC, MO.

Todd, I might be interested as well but I don't think the 10th will work for me or Andy. We believe the 2nd annual Polar Swine cook-off is that weekend!!

thillin said:
I could fly in, but that might make them some expensive tamales. SW is about $50+taxes each way to KC, MO.

We'll just have to make more tamales for you to take home. Get the cost per tamale ratio down.:rolleyes:

MoKanMeathead said:
Todd, I might be interested as well but I don't think the 10th will work for me or Andy. We believe the 2nd annual Polar Swine cook-off is that weekend!!

Tell me more, Wayne.

How about Feb 17th. Got to thinking about this more today. Gonna have to really plan this to make sure we have what we need.

Plowboy said:
Tell me more, Wayne.

How about Feb 17th. Got to thinking about this more today. Gonna have to really plan this to make sure we have what we need.

Yes you will. I like to precook the meat filling ahead of time and just need to heat it enough at tamale making time so it is pliable enough to spread on the tamales. It will get cooked plenty during the steaming process.

Tamale making parties are a good time for sure. We didn't do ours this year and I miss it.

Kevin said:
Yes you will. I like to precook the meat filling ahead of time and just need to heat it enough at tamale making time so it is pliable enough to spread on the tamales. It will get cooked plenty during the steaming process.

Tamale making parties are a good time for sure. We didn't do ours this year and I miss it.

Husks, Masa & Meat needed the night before.

Day of will need steamers and baggies. Just need to figure out how much.

Plowboy said:
Husks, Masa & Meat needed the night before.

Day of will need steamers and baggies. Just need to figure out how much.

Aluminum foil for bundling up in dozen sized batches. The masa should be worked up (mixed) just before you need it. Bacon grease is a great additive. Keep it covered when not using any to keep the moisture and heat in. I'm a farking tamale addict. Beef, pork, whatever, I love tamales. Wish I could join you.

Kevin, try refried bean tamales. You will love them if you like refried beans. Your wife may not though.

Kevin said:
Aluminum foil for bundling up in dozen sized batches. The masa should be worked up (mixed) just before you need it. Bacon grease is a great additive. Keep it covered when not using any to keep the moisture and heat in. I'm a farking tamale addict. Beef, pork, whatever, I love tamales. Wish I could join you.

I thought you mixed up the masa the night before. I remember you mentioning the bacon grease before. I put what I had in my masa... and they were pretty damn good for a first try.

MoKanMeathead said:

I'm putting the heat on Cawby to give me the final date. It is supposed to be 2/10.

If that is the case, 2/17 should work for me.

Back